Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing Email Preferences

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 13 Feb 2009 11:02

I am trying to change my email preferences. I go to "My Account", enter my password and I see my details. I scroll down to "Email Preferences", change what I want and click "save". Then I get an error message telling me to fill in the "Confirm Password" field. This I do and click "save" again. Now I'm told there is already an account with that name. What am I doing wrong?

Heather

Heather Report 13 Feb 2009 12:46

Perhaps they mean confirm a NEW password?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Feb 2009 13:27

No it is not an new password. Whenever you make changes to your account, you now have to re-type your existing password in order to save the changes.

What preference changes are you trying to make?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Feb 2009 13:50

Just seen the error message - I ignored it and on checking back, the changes I made have actually been saved.

So it looks like there a program bug as you would only expect to see the message if you were creating or changing the email to one that already existed for someone else.

Graham

Graham Report 14 Feb 2009 08:51

Just want to get an email when I receive new Hot Matches but changes are not being saved.

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 14 Feb 2009 12:53

There seems to be some problems with changing details in your account. I tried to change my email address recently, and it would not accept it. I would suggest that you email genes and explain what you have done, then they can either fix the program or make the change for you, as they did for me.

Graham

Graham Report 17 Feb 2009 10:12

Problem solved. My browser (Firefox 3) was automagically inserting my email address and password into the form. Deleted them and it worked.