Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What does it say? Suggestions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Erika

Erika Report 13 Feb 2009 14:51

Hey all....

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=6598&iid=DBYRG12_2774_2776-0247&fn=Frederick&ln=Brocklehurst&st=r&ssrc=&pid=3422061
(1891 cenus - inc Jas,Eliza,William,Frederick,Eliza)

What does it say for the entry of street, Name of house etc?

Sam

Sam Report 13 Feb 2009 15:25

Scarthin. It's a street in Matlock and is still there, you should find it on Streetmap or another map site.

Sam x

Erika

Erika Report 13 Feb 2009 15:26

Thank you. Much appreciated. I just couldnt work it out

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 13 Feb 2009 15:28

Street name looks like Scarthin, no house name.

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Feb 2009 15:59

It's very hard to decypher anywhere, but I think it's "Scarthen"
The Enumerator's description says 1891-ED10 is the "Town or Village or Hamlet" of Scarthen & Willersley.
I didn't find either on a modern map, but Willersley Castle is just SSE of Matlock Bath.

Matlock-A.
(Description of Enumeration District 7a) (Top)
All that part of the Parish of Matlock comprising all the houses from a place called Chapel Hill, also Scarthen Nick, to a house occupied by Charles Lymn in Cromford Market Place inclusive, also all Houses over the Cromford Bridge on the Northern side also Willersley Castle, Gardener's House, and Farm.
[ http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/C51-Area.htm ]