Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

free bmd

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 15 Feb 2009 12:45

Hi can any one answer my question please.
why has this happened
I have just found what i think is the marriage of my great Nan on free bmd,but it doesn't show the spouse.I entered the two names and only the details for my Nan come up with the surname of the spouse.I have entered just the page and vol and 1/4 but still no luck,plus can't find it in ancestry.
Cathie

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2009 12:56

You dont actually need two names to buy the certificate, just one of the couple will do.

But have you clicked on the page number of the entry shown for nan? Give us the details so we can try.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 15 Feb 2009 12:57

Have you clicked on the number on the right hand side to see the list of people marrying in that quarter. He should show there - if he doesn't then he's not been transcribed yet.

Jill

Blue1

Blue1 Report 15 Feb 2009 12:58

Thanks Heather,
i think i did click on it but got the same result,perhaps i didn't do it properly as I'm not really used to it.

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1917 (99%)
Wood Jane E Chandler Southwark 1d 129

Cathie

PME

PME Report 15 Feb 2009 13:01

May not have been transcribed yet or the transcription maybe have been mis-read so its under a different page and volume no, as some of the indexs are near impossiable to read espically the numbers.

One thought she wasn't married twice by any chance? How does your nans name show as it should be
Your great grandads surname then his first name then.....normally three other options, with three other surname and first names listed, if it reads your nans name next to her married surname than thats no her, unless she's getting married for a second time.

Depending when the marriage happened and children were born a bit of dective work normally finds the person concerned.

I advise posting all the information you know, as some of the posters on here are brillaint at finding BMD info.

Othewise order the gandparents birth cert and that will give you your nans maiden name.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 15 Feb 2009 13:02

Hi,
i suppose if Heather can't find it then Mrs grumpy is probably right
cathie

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 15 Feb 2009 13:03

It looks as if Jane's marriage record has only just been added to the FreeBMD database as there is a big red cross next to it. Chances are that Mr Chandler's details will be added over the next month or two. Otherwise you need to check the full listing on Ancestry.

Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 15 Feb 2009 13:06

OK - just checked Ancestry full listing. He is Francis K Chandler. But to order the marriage cert you do only need one of the names anyway.

Jill

PME

PME Report 15 Feb 2009 13:07

Is your nans maiden name wood or chandler?

If chandlers her married name I think this is her husband
the one listed as being in South Molton, its clearly out of place the rest are in exter, I might be worng but looks likely, as 1d 129 isn't too far removed from 5b 129

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1917 (99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burman Alfred H Howard Exeter 5b 129
Chandler Francis K Wood South Molton 5b 129
Harford Kate E M Simmonds Exeter 5b 129
Howard Lily F Burman Exeter 5b 129
Simmonds Ernest F Harford Exeter 5b 129

Blue1

Blue1 Report 15 Feb 2009 13:07

My Nan's maiden name is defiantly Wood,and she did'nt get married to any one else.They divorced in the 40's as he was a bit of a rogue.

This is the first time she has come up on the free bmd since i started looking about a year,so seems his entry may not be on there for the reasons given ie mis transciption etc
but i will defiantly order this cert any way,just would have been nice to see his first name which is Francis/Frank
Cathie

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 15 Feb 2009 13:09

It's Francis K

Blue1

Blue1 Report 15 Feb 2009 13:11

Hi,
this is all i have found so far for the marriage,but couldn't find it ancestry

Marriages Sep 1917 (99%)
Wood Jane E Chandler Southwark 1d 129

but thanks for all your help any way
cathie

PME

PME Report 15 Feb 2009 13:13

just checked the indexs thats him, the location, vol and page have been mistranscribed as the image says

Sept 1917
Chandler Francis K Wood Southwark 1d 129

The volunteer doing it proably had done so many they'd misread it, so easily done when doing data entry for any length of time.

Edit: on Freebmd just put in the surname chandler an set the dates to search just the year 1917 and he's their under the sept quarter, mistranscribed, but honestly the image agrees with your great grans details.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 15 Feb 2009 13:16

Cathie

I've already posted his details - Francis K Chandler - Southwark - 1d 129 - spouse: Wood. Sep Q 1917.

It looks from what PME has found that he has been mistranscribed by one of the inputters. It would be worth checking FreeBMD and looking at the image for PME's record and then submitting a correction. It's clear from the Ancestry image that the marriage was in Southwark.

Jill

Blue1

Blue1 Report 15 Feb 2009 13:17

Thanks PME,
i think it's certain now that it's them,so will order my cert later.Can't wait to get it as i will then be able to confirm his father.
Many thanks
cathie

Heather

Heather Report 15 Feb 2009 14:10

Sorry guys, only just got back. Glad to see it is sorted - but as we have said,only one name is needed for a marriage cert.