Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Aalyar(Yorks)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvette

Yvette Report 15 Feb 2009 20:21

1891 census as a birthplace for my husbands great uncle and aunts.
I cant seem to find a record of it anywhere else, I was wondering if it could have been the name of a lodging house or not even in Yorkshire. Have you heard of this place before?? all ideas most welcome.
Yvette

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 15 Feb 2009 20:33

is this as it is written or is it a transcription?
can you give some more information so we can look at the same census

Yvette

Yvette Report 16 Feb 2009 00:32

Had more of a look, it actually says Halifax(I am a goose), but the writing is squeezed in between lines and not as tidy as the rest of the census sheet.
Thankyou for your help, back to the drawing board with this family. kind regards Yvette

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 16 Feb 2009 09:50

easy mistake to make, but it shows that we need to reread things, thank you for coming back and admitting the mistake it makes life a lot easier for us searching we can then move on,

as an aside, to poster who deleted their post and to others who delete posts can you please leave them up they can sometimes contain some very good information as your post did and i for one tend to come back to these posts for snippets of information?

Heather

Heather Report 16 Feb 2009 11:48

Its important always to look at the census image as the transcribers are abroad and the places will be unfamiliar to them. They also use a predictive program for some place names and it can throw up the oddest things like Somalia for Somerset :) Check the census image every time.

Yvette

Yvette Report 2 Mar 2009 11:49

it sounded so exotic and totally out of place in that time in Halifax. I had trawled over and over the same family census looking for things I had missed. Needless to say this is a brickwall. Eliza Moody, head and mother of 4 children by 1901 in Halifax , never has a husband. Her birthplace is Essex, Heath but cant find anything - so when Aalyah came up I was rapt. Oh well , thankyou all for your input

Yvette

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 3 Mar 2009 18:01

do these children have different fathers, it is possible the census has been altered to show her as widow?

1901 England Census
about Eliza Moody
Name: Eliza Moody
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Relation: Head
Where born: Heath, Essex, England

Civil Parish: Halifax
Ecclesiastical parish: St John the Baptist
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Halifax
Sub registration district: Halifax
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 139
Household Members: Name Age
Eliza Moody 40
Amy Moody 17
Harriet Moody 13
Hubert Moody 11
Fred Moody 5

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1883
MOODY Amy Ellen Halifax 9a 431
Births Mar 1888
MOODY Harriet Wilson Halifax 9a 442
Births Jun 1889
Moody Hubert Halifax 9a 439
cannot find birth for "fred" at the moment

Kate

Kate Report 3 Mar 2009 18:12

There's a Tiptree Heath in Essex - don't know if that's any help, but I only know about it because one of my ancestors came from there.

Yvette

Yvette Report 4 Mar 2009 02:04

I ordered Fred's birth cert as he is my OH's grandfather. No father is recorded on the cert, and another family member has confirmed no father's names on the remaining sibling's birth certificates either. We found Freds birth details from passenger lists and went from there.
I've been looking through Find my Past records, but Ms Eliza is hard to trace. (maybe Tiptree Heath, there are several...Heaths).
1891 Census says Eliza is single, 1901 is obscured but tend to think it is an S also.
we have only heard the one time from the OH's uncle, but I dont think he knows any more.

Yvette

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 4 Mar 2009 09:02

She's single in 1891.

1891 England Census
about Eliza A Moothy
Name: Eliza A Moothy
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Relation: Head
Where born: Nk, Essex, England

Civil Parish: Halifax
Ecclesiastical parish: St John Baptist