Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial Records Not on National Burial Index Disc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mathers

mathers Report 16 Feb 2009 15:27

Burial Records Not on National Burial Index Disc UK
How do i find ancestors final resting place?
Contact me for advice
Funeral Director
Roger

Jane

Jane Report 16 Feb 2009 18:28

Hi Roger,
Am looking for the burial place of Hubert James Campbell.He died on 24/3/1937 in Wotton Vill Mental Hospital, Gloucester, although the family home was in West Ham,London. Have tried Glouceter & some London cemeteries without success.Any suggestions please.
Jane

JET48

JET48 Report 16 Feb 2009 19:10

Hi
Trying to find the burial place of my Grandfather William John Bowers died 17th May 1947 The Lodge Bowthorpe Road Norwich Norfolk have tried both cemeteries in Norwich no records.

Joan

Chris

Chris Report 16 Feb 2009 20:09

Hi Roger ,looking for the buriel place of my grandad
Stewart Linton d 1956 December Sheffield
Any help at all Thankyou
Chris

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 16 Feb 2009 22:20

hi roger can you help please looking for burial records of margaret ann cook . registered march1919 southshields durham.she lived in jarrow .

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 16 Feb 2009 22:22

Hi Roger.

Thanks for your offer. I am looking for the burial place of Edward James Herra, died 12th June, 1925, in Liverpool. Any help much appreciated.

mathers

mathers Report 16 Feb 2009 22:41

Hi Jane ,
Check with the NHS Trust under the freedom of information act ;
If you are a blood relative you can request the information.
All NHS Trusts in the UK have a contract
(a special trust fund for Burial & Cremation with a local Funeral Directors if no family members arrange the funeral.)
Also the local Cemetery or Crematorium to the Hospital where death was recorded will have records which are open to the public.
If your relative was buried by the NHS Trust these are public graves.
If cremation service took place ashes may have been retained for a short time then scattererd in the grounds & are all recorded on which lawn area by the crematorium.
Hope this helps you in your search,
Kind regards
Roger Mathers FD

mathers

mathers Report 16 Feb 2009 23:06

Hi Joan,
Did your relative die in hospital ?
Sometimes the NHS Trust arrange the funeral if no relatives are able too
make funeral arrangements.
If Burial in a public grave local to district.
If cremation at the local Crematorium to Hospital.
Contact the local crematorium & cemetery office.
You can view these records.
Freedom of information act.
Also if deceased donated his body to medical research teaching hospital,
you sign away your body to the hospital & no records are sent to the NOK.
A burial or cremation local to the teaching hospital is arranged when the deceased is no longer required for research.
Also have you checked the local coroners records held at the local archives office if your relatives death was un natural.
There is 70 year records law ,but if you are blood relative you can request to view them .
Hope this helps you with your search
Kind regards
Roger Mathers FD

mathers

mathers Report 16 Feb 2009 23:44

Hi, Chris , Elizabeth & Evelyn
When searching burials or ( cremations since 1900 )
You need to find the Parish or district where death took place,
If local Cemetery Council run Cemetery Office or
a churchyard parish church office or local archives office.
Date of death full name & location required for any search.
If died in Hospital & no NOK to arrange a funeral NHS Trust arrange the funeral.
If donated to medical research (no records)
If un natural death Local Coroners Records
( NB see my other info messages )
Also check local archives or local studies office for Obituary Press notice archives. ( Details of the funeral service )
If death takes place in the Military upto 2nd WW Wars Graves Commision
World wide
2nd WW onwards MOD Graves
The military arrange the funeral in the UK or overseas or Burial at Sea
If Death takes place in Prison HMP arrange the burial or cremation.
Also see my other messages on this board
Kind regards
Roger Mathers FD

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 17 Feb 2009 09:20

hi thanks very much for your help much appreciated, will follow up what you have given me.

Jane

Jane Report 17 Feb 2009 13:03

Hi Roger,
Thankyou for your reply. I contacted Gloucester Archives, no records found.The NHS Trust there were extremely helpful, sending me details of my gt grandfather's records whilst in Wotton Vill. They do not keep records of burials.
The Coney Hill Cemetery, local to the hospital, didn't begin burials until 1939 & cremations 1953. At Gloucester Old Cemetery on Tredworth rd there was no trace.
Manor Park for Forest Gate cemetery & Newham,London, no trace found.
So am well & truly stuck on this one.Where do I go from here ?
Jane

Chris

Chris Report 17 Feb 2009 14:49

Thankyou for the info Roger , much appreciated
Chris

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 17 Feb 2009 16:46

Hi Roger.

Thanks for the info. I'll get on to it.

JET48

JET48 Report 17 Feb 2009 18:19

Hi Rodger thanyou for your help ,yes my grandfather died in hospital I went to the city hall who told me there was no record of him being burried in either of the two cemeteries we have in Norwich. There were no cremations in Norwich until 1948 and the person who was on the cert. was of the same name but my grandmother had already died at an early age. I have no idea if he remarried because I can not find a wedding cert only to my grandmother. I will try the library and the NRO maybe they can help. Thanks again for your help.

Joan

Netty

Netty Report 19 Feb 2009 20:40

Nudge for Claire.

Donna

Donna Report 5 May 2009 20:03

Not sure if this will be found because i am looking for the place where my mum's brother is buried. He was born 25th sept 1940 Joseph William Wray. Ashton under lyne Lancashire. Parents Joseph and Florence Wray nee Gilbert of 1 Brunswick st Dukinfield. I can't find a birth entry or a death in the regs????no idea whats going on. I have searched the still birth reg at the local cemetery also.

thankyou

Anne

Anne Report 5 May 2009 22:28

Hi Roger

I have relatives buried in a churchyard, I have contacted the church direct by letter enclosing a SAE, but have had no reply, where else can I find out who was buried in the grave?