Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SCHOOL IN WHITTLESEY CAMBS 1870's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 17 Feb 2009 15:52

I have recently had access to a Birthday Book (dates and names) of my gt.gt. aunt, and am trawling through it to see if I can find the people on the BMD lists etc. I have realised that some of the names came from the same town,Whittlesey, where she was also from, and around the same birthyear as herself. So, it is obvious that these were her contemporaries. To save myself time, my question is, is there anyway and anywhere that I would be able to access a school attendance list for that period ie. about mid 1870's. Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but I think it is worth asking, rather than thinking about it.
Many,many thanks
Julia in Derbyshire

Julia

Julia Report 17 Feb 2009 18:39

Thank you MGHS for your suggestion. I will try this tomorrow as I go off line prettty soon.
Whitenancy - thank you for responding. I had despaired of ANYONE reply to my post re.Whittlesey. I was beginning to think the place was a figment of my imagination, if you know what I mean.
My gt.gt.aunt is down on the 1881 census as a scholar, along with many thousands of others, I know.. If you put together what I put in my original post, and the fact that I like to pad out people in my family and get to know as much information about their llives, as opposed to just a birth and death date, you will understand my query. This is that I have had accesss to this notebook containing many names,some of which,after much searching, I have found wher school friends, i just wonderedif I could access a list of school pupils, that would fit this criteria. The family name is Turner, and they had mainly butchery,bakery, and grocerery businesses in Whittlesey