Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ordering Birth Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claire

Claire Report 18 Feb 2009 20:44

I would like to order a birth certificate but only if the first and last names of the birth mother match that of my grandmother. If she is not the mother then I will not be needing it. I have the correct volume number, year etc but wondered how to go about it as I have only ever ordered from GRO as a straightforward request. Would I still have to pay if the birth mother is different to the one I'm looking for as I don' t want it sent out otherwise?

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 18 Feb 2009 20:56

I think you can do a reference check, you put the names you want but they charge you £3 if it is not the one you want.

The Register Office local to the area you need sometimes do them, I know Manchester doesnt charge you if it is not the one you want, but again you have to put a reference check. They usually charge £7 for a certificate or nothing it not the right one.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 19 Feb 2009 02:57

Hi Claire,

You need to specifically request the ref check from the GRO by filling in the details on the required page (click on ref check link?), if you just fill in extra details such as parents names on the normal page, they are ignored.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Feb 2009 05:01

but you also may not get the birth certificate if the reference details you provide are not EXACTLY the same as on the certificate ................ which may be the case if there has been a mis-spelling error.

So you may not get a certificate that is actually the one that you do in fact want.

GRO will charge you £3 if the certificate is not yours, instead of the usual £7

sylvia

Claire

Claire Report 19 Feb 2009 08:10

Many thanks. Replies have all been very helpful.