Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What was happening between 1919 and 1927 in the UK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MandaLou

MandaLou Report 19 Feb 2009 20:27

My grandads brthers and sisters...
Quite a gap the parents had.

Four children were born between 1914 and 1919, then there was a gap of 8 years before the last two were born.

I can't find any military records for the father Frederick William Clifton (wife Nellie Agnes Ashford)..I can't think of any othe reason unless they wanted a break..

Any one have any ideas?

Mary

Mary Report 19 Feb 2009 20:43

Did the father remarry and have children with her perhaps

Janet

Janet Report 19 Feb 2009 20:53

Hi
Looking at bmd there are two deaths in 1920 and 1921 which may account for some of the gap-JLe

MandaLou

MandaLou Report 19 Feb 2009 22:08

Fred and Nellie did not split up, they moved to Kent in the 1950;s and both died there 20 years later.

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 19 Feb 2009 22:22

my grandfather and his brother are 15 years apart. his parents had a child who died within three months of being born inbetween him and his brother and two children who were stillborn.

also happened with my father. 11 year difference between him and his sister. they also had a daughter who was stillborn between this time.

perhaps your family experienced the same kind of thing?
Leanne.

MandaLou

MandaLou Report 20 Feb 2009 00:36

Hmm, I guess it's always possible.

Thanks everyone!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Feb 2009 05:36

my grandparents had my mother in 1903 (one year after they married)

the next child was 1910

then one in December 1915

and the last one in 1923

there were apparently no stillbirths or babies dying young during the intervening years, and my mother never mentioned that her mother had any miscarriages.

sometimes these long gaps happen

sylvia

Dave the Tyke

Dave the Tyke Report 20 Feb 2009 09:14

There was an influenza pandemic at the end of WW1. More people died from flu than did from enemy action. Perhaps some of your g grandparents' children died as a result of that ?

Dave

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Feb 2009 09:21

Wasn't there National Strikes about this time?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Feb 2009 09:31

I've been thinking about this.
4 children in almost as many years - wouldn't you want a break. She would never have been not pregnant. Breastfeeding as a natural contraceptive didn't work!
May be the doctor said 'No More' and the last was an accident.
May be she was a Feminist and follower of Marie Stokes.
May be it was her age.

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 20 Feb 2009 11:19

Is this your grandfather?

Name Age Birth Year Birth Parish Birth County Residence Document Year Number of Images View Images
View Record
Frederick William Clifton 17 abt 1895 Kings Weston Worcestershire 1912 10