Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you looking for Irish BDM Indexes?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 20 Feb 2009 21:41

Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958 are being transcribed and put on line....but not complete yet.

Well worth doing a search though, for a person's name and any County in Ireland and see what comes up.

Select...... Births, Marriage or Deaths, enter persons name, then a County, then Ireland.

There are also thousands of Birth/Christenings on www.familysearch.org/
Just go to the IGI records and search for a name remembering to select the Region...British Isles, Ireland and a County if you wish.

fudge1

fudge1 Report 20 Feb 2009 21:56

Teresa, thankyou for advice. just trying to start on the Irish side, have found a possible birth for my Ggrandfather,but IGI results are saying ,no other information available.

Have managed to view his marriage cert with parents names, i'm stuck before i even start,, What now please,?

gill

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 20 Feb 2009 22:18

Hi Jill

Have you got a copy of the actual marriage certificate?

This should give their ages at the time of their marriage...or at least state "of Full Age" or "Minor".... plus addresses..... and witnesses who could also be relatives.

All very useful info when trying to find other relatives/connections

fudge1

fudge1 Report 20 Feb 2009 22:26

Hi Teresa, yes i have a copy of his marriage cert, so i have his birth year also parents names, but he married in Scotland,wifes relations as witnesses,There is 1 match on IGI, but how can i check on parents to make sure i have the right one,as its saying no other info ,sorry if i sound a numpty...gill

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 21 Feb 2009 11:43

Hi Gill

I don't know if the Scottish parish records record both parents names of a person when they marry, like they do in Ireland so it might be worth checking that out.

IGI records...if it says 'Extraced from records' then you can usually take that as being OK. Although they are transcriptions and you cannot avoid human errors.

If it's been submitted by a 'member' then you would need to be aware that they are not always correct and would need verifying.

If no parents are on the IGI record that you think might match the person you are looking for....then I would print off a copy and just keep it as a 'maybe' until you can find something more concrete.

You could of course order the certificate from the appropriate Record's office ...if it is after 1845's when the civil registratins began for non Catholics and 1864 for Catholics in Ireland.

You haven't mentioned the persons name so can't comment on the likelihood of knowing whether its a very common name or not in Ireland..eg Brady, Murphy, etc........as there are thousands with the same Christian and surnames all over Ireland.

You have to remember too the the IGI records are by no means complete either...so it is a bit of a lottery especially as you don't know the mother's name.

Hope this helps.......Teresa

fudge1

fudge1 Report 21 Feb 2009 12:06

Teresa, thankyou so much for the tips,and of course your time , made it all so much clearer,,bless you..gill