Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lord Mayor of London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bridget

Bridget Report 21 Feb 2009 11:51

Hi Can anyone give me some advise. My Nan is 90yrs old on 1st March and has always said that her Great grand father was to become Lord Mayor of London but Died before he could take office. I would love to prove this story one way or another before her birthday but really dont know where to look.
Her grandfather was William Thompson a watch maker married to Rachel mc clean but this was possiably Rachels second marriage. I have been to watch makers musume in the city but they could not help. So if anyone has any ideas they would be very gratefully recieved.
Many thanks
Bridget

Irene

Irene Report 21 Feb 2009 13:11

I found the marriage in 1884 to Rachel McLean at Camberwell - found the family in the 1891 census living 100 Ilderton Road,
William G Thompson watch repairer age 33 born Durham, Sunderland age 33
Rachael 27
William 7
Angus 5
Beatrice 3
Albert 2
Walter 1
If you google Lord Mayors of London a lot of information comes up about the Lord Mayors and at the bottom of one of the lists of the Lord Mayors there is a question box where you could ask about Wiliam being elected. Good luck Irene

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2009 13:25

I guess the first thing is to find out when he died which would tie down a time scale.

My ancestor - Sir Frederick Wells - was a Lord Mayor of London - but he was a wealthy guy with connections and a number of large factories. What Im trying to say is, was your chap a watchmaker or did he own a company making watches?

Anyway, have a look at the site and contact them for any details.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/5C61458D-4D0A-4C07-AE3E-90C1C20B1E71/0/LH_HC_lordmayors1189.pdf

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 21 Feb 2009 14:24

possible death
Deaths Jun 1891 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thompson William George 39 Camberwell 1d 671

Jim

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2009 15:51

Have you got the marriage cert? This looks like it: £7 from GRO online will give previous generations name

Marriages Mar 1884
Lewis Mary Ann Camberwell 1d 929
Lewis William Thomas Camberwell 1d 929
McLean Rachel Camberwell 1d 929
THOMPSON William Camberwell 1d 929

Have we got the right couple btw? Having a bit of thought over the lady;s age - if she were born c1920 cant really see this can be the right man as her great grandad.

Bridget

Bridget Report 21 Feb 2009 16:22

Hi
Yes I believe this is the right family. William was my nans grand father. And Albert was her father. I know that Rachel died 1959 she was a good age to. and william in 1945 I think. (but that may have been his son)
What my nan tells me is that Rachels father or father in law from 1st marriage owed the shop which william worked in and he gave the shop to william on his marriage to his daughter. This is where it gets very confussing because she says that rachel was married before and that her 1st husband came from a very wealthy family. Would the marriage cert show me this
thanks everyone for your help in trying to get to the bottom of this matter
Bridget

Irene

Irene Report 21 Feb 2009 18:38

1901 census the fmily have moved to 50 Merritt Road. Brockley, Lewisham
William is a Foreman Watchmaker
William Thompson 45 Durham
Rachel 39 Sunderland
William
Peter
Florence B 13
Albert V 12
Ernest W 11
Stanley 9
Rachel 7
Robert 6
Gladys V 4
Henry 2
Evelyn L 2months
Irene

Irene

Irene Report 21 Feb 2009 18:41

Evelyn Louisa who was 2 months 1901 census - looks like her birth March 1901 Lewisham. Irene

Irene

Irene Report 21 Feb 2009 19:23

1911 census family living at West Ham no credits to see occupation of William
William 54
Rachel 48
Douglas4
Frederick 6
Gladys 14
Henry 12
Letitia 8
Robert 15
Stanley 19
Walter 21.
Irene

Irene

Irene Report 21 Feb 2009 19:33

I think you Rachel is Rachel Jane McLean born 1865
She can be found living with an Aunt and Uncle in the 1871 census
Richard Deighton and Jane when you check the marriage of Richard he married Jane McLean at Guisborough. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 21 Feb 2009 23:28

So it was her grandfather, not her great grandfather as first posting?

The marriage cert would show Rachels maiden name and you could then find her previous marriage, if there were one, which it doesnt sound like is so.

To be honest, looking at the evidence, I feel its very unlikely this man would have been nominated as a Lord Mayor. May be nan is getting confused with another generation.

Peter

Peter Report 21 Feb 2009 23:43

Bridget,

I agree with Heather that a man had to be extraordinarily wealthy to be Lord Mayor of London and, I assume, a member of a Livery company. Could it be that your grandfather was in line for the more modest position of mayor of a borough? Was he politically active?

Peter

Bridget

Bridget Report 22 Feb 2009 00:24

Thankyou every onr for your help. Although maybe still no nearer to solving the mystery of the Lord mayor of London. I know that it was differanty her great grand father the father of william or rachel. And she has always mantain that he was an alderman of London but can not remember if it was the watcj makers livery or some other one.
I guess maybe the case will never be solved.
Unless anyone can come up with any other suggestions
Once again thanks

Heather

Heather Report 22 Feb 2009 00:50

May be it was Rachels side? I think the suggestion to contact the Lord Mayors records office is the only way forward. You had the link didnt you? Or just google. They would definitely have information if he were an alderman or nominated as Lord Mayor.

And check out the clock makers livery records - I think Guildhall has them. Thing is, both William and Rachel were born outside of London werent they.

You do have this couples marriage cert? If not, get it for their fathers names and occupations.

Heather

Heather Report 22 Feb 2009 01:06

Looking at where she is living with William and her place of birth/date of birth, this does look like her born Sunderland but already in SE London by 1871 - dad is a Scottish blacksmith: (note she names one of her kids Angus) Mum and all kids except last 3 born in Sunderland. 3 youngest born London

Interesting her husband came from same place though - wonder if the families knew one another before moving to London??

You really need to get their marriage cert. so that we know their fathers names and occupations.

Name: Rachael McLean
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1863
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Rachael
Where born: Sunderland, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Rotherhithe
Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints
County/Island: Surrey

Registration district: St Olave Southwark
Sub registration district: Rotherhithe
rs:
Name Age
James McLean 37
Rachael McLean 33
Elizabeth McLean 12
Margarett McLean 10
Rachael McLean 8
Frederick McLean 5
Matilda McLean 3
Alfred McLean 1

Someone has added a comment to the 1891 when the family are in Deptford, giving James McLean a middle name of Grant

1861 - already in London father is a mechanic/blacksmith
Name: James McLean
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1834
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Rachael
Where born: Arbroath, Scotland

Civil Parish: St George in The East
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: Middlesex

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View Image

Registration district: St George In The East
Sub registration district: St Paul
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 124
Household Members: Name Age
James McLean 27
Rachael McLean 24
Elizabeth Jane McLean 2
Margaret Ann McLean under 5 Mo

If Rachael was born in Sunderland, looks like they may have returned there between 1861-1871

You really do need their marriage cert to see their fathers names and occupations.

Bridget

Bridget Report 22 Feb 2009 12:39

I have had a message from a cousin in Aus. He has been able to confirm that rachels father was James Grant mclen. So going to check him out on monday with the guild hall. He sold property in greenwich in 1895 for £995 so he was a man with money.
Once again thanks for all your help.
If I need help finding some of the info you have all found for me can I please get in touch.
Bridget

Heather

Heather Report 22 Feb 2009 13:00

So, its the Scottish Blacksmith you think may be the candidate? At least you can ask the Lord Mayors office with a name now.

Dont pm anyone for more info, we will probably all have forgotten about this in a few days :) Always add to this thread so people can follow up.

Look for a will for said blacksmith on National Archives. To be frank £1k wasnt a fantastic amount of money even back then. But he may have a will worth reading.

Interesting thing is, my ancestor who was Lord Mayor of London is noted on some census as Boiler Maker (he must have been very modest as he owned several factories and was a friend of royalty) - it may be Blacksmith is also a modest entry??

Here is his death ref. - why dont you buy the cert for £7?

Deaths Mar 1895
McLean James Grant 61 Greenwich 1d 869

This would also give you a date to enquire at Lord Mayors office