Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Same address on marriage certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 21 Feb 2009 22:37

Can someone kindly remind me why a bride and groom quite often had the same address on their marriage certificate.There was a thread about this a while ago but I cannot find it now!
cheers

Mike S

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 21 Feb 2009 22:54

To save having to pay for two lots of Banns.............

Only one of the couple needs to reside in the Parish where the ceremony is due to take place

Libby

Libby Report 21 Feb 2009 23:15

In the 1901 census my g grandmother was down as "housekeeper" to my g grandfather, He was 23 and she was 21. Where they "living over the brush"?. Shock, horror!!..

Couldn't possibly happen in my family!

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 22 Feb 2009 05:09

I think the reason the bride and groom often had the same address was so that Banns could be called in the parish. I believe it was cheaper this way as if they lived in different parishes they would have to be married by licence - which would involve a fee.

Moonbeam.

mgnv

mgnv Report 22 Feb 2009 06:57

It cost money to have banns called. If the couple lived in two parishes, they'ld need two lots of banns. Given that the marr usually took place at the brides home parish, the groom would need to give an address in that parish, so he would give the brides address or maybe in the next house to the bride with cooperative neighbours. Of course, this has nothing to do with where they're actuallly living.

Mary

Mary Report 22 Feb 2009 09:14

mgnv is right my grandad did just that it was an aunts house he pretended to live in. Even my husband did it puttin our house instead of his parents to avoid paying for the banns twice.

Michael

Michael Report 22 Feb 2009 11:41

Many thanks folks. It is a bit disappointing when an address you expect to see for the man,for example.is not there. I was hoping to see such an address to confirm I had the correct Robert Stephenson in Newcastle. There are and were a lot of Robert Stephensons in Newcastle!

thanks again

Mike S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Feb 2009 13:36

In my experience, addresses on marriage certificates often meant nothing, and were seldom either parties main residence. More often than not they were that of a friend.