Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Feb 2009 23:46

I would very much appreciate help with this one.
I am trying to find out where the husband of my great-aunt was born (I do have a reason!) but can't seem to locate him on the census reports.
His name was Harry Longfield, and he was born about 1886. On the marriage certificate, his father is given as Alexander Longfield, auctioneer - but I can't find them on the census reports.
The marriage took place in1916 in Birmingham, but I suspect Harry may have been from Leeds as they moved there in the early 20's and Longfield seems to be a Yorkshire name.
Can anyone find Alexander anywhere? I am wondering if maybe he was born outside England/Wales.
Many thanks
Jan

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 22 Feb 2009 00:08

Janet.... have you tried looking under Henry Longfield? Harry is often another name for Henry.

Nicky

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Feb 2009 00:26

Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate?

Kath. x

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 22 Feb 2009 00:32

Alexander is a popoular name in Scotland...... maybe they came from there.?

Nicky

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Feb 2009 03:52

What was Harry's profession?

Rose

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 22 Feb 2009 11:28

??????

Births Sep 1886 (>99%)
Longfield Harry Wharfedale 9a 135

Edit.....checked 1891, this one's father is named Lawson

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 22 Feb 2009 11:35

This one is on 1911.........no other Longfields in the household

LONGFIELD HARRY Age 26 living in Wetherby

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Feb 2009 13:57

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've looked at the Harry with father Lawson, but can't make up my mind! Why would he put his father as Alexander I wonder? Portland Rose - the only occupation I have for Harry is that of munitions worker on his marriage certificate - as this was 1916 I imagine it may have been temporary!
Nicky, I have tried Henry but there are less Henrys than Harry's! I am liking the birth in Wharfedale in 1886 so thanks for that Ricochet, and also the 1911 suggestion.
I'll just keep on looking!
Thanks again.
Jan