Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Record CDs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 23 Feb 2009 13:47

Can anyone give me some advice about buying these CDs. I need to look for records in Wiltshire, but am confused about which ones to buy. The websites I have come across don't seem to give much information about what's on them. Some seem only to list marriage records - can I get births and marriages together, or do I need to look for both separately? The areas seem to vary a lot too. I need Devizes and surrounding villages - should I be able to get it all on one CD or do I have to specify the village? Is there perhaps a good website that I haven't come across?

I hope one of you good people can point me in the right direction!

Potty

Potty Report 23 Feb 2009 14:00

This site has Wiltshire parish records:
www.familysearch.org/

Or you can access it by parish from here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm#PageTitle

Also this site:

www.freereg.org.uk/

Wiltshire online parish clerk site:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engwopcp/index.html

RobG

RobG Report 23 Feb 2009 14:00

Try www.parishchest.com for bringing many of the CDs together in one place. They have good descriptions for most CDs too.

If one of the "surrounding villages" you mention is Rowde, the transciptions of these are online (almost complete) at http://www.pope-genealogy.me.uk/rowde.htm
They have some for Potterne too, but I think this is less complete.

Rob

Christine

Christine Report 23 Feb 2009 14:15

Thank you - I knew this was the right place to come! As far as I know Rowde isn't one the villages I need, but who knows where it might take me!? I'll have a look at it just in case.

RobG

RobG Report 23 Feb 2009 14:18

What names are you looking for in that area Christine?

Christine

Christine Report 23 Feb 2009 14:27

Rob,

I'm looking for Coles and Neates. I have quite a bit of Neate information, but there is doubt about which of 2 marriages is correct. Those are from Southbroom. I think my Cole ancestors came from Stert.

RobG

RobG Report 23 Feb 2009 14:32

Not the same names as me then!! LOL.
There is certainly the odd one or two of those in the Rowde lists I seem to remember (haven't really looked at the Potterne ones). They might be twigs to your tree.

Christine

Christine Report 23 Feb 2009 14:37

Thanks Rob!