Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gaster

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 23 Feb 2009 15:21

Hi, I have been trying to research the name Gaster as it is my mother-in-laws maiden name. I have been told that they may have been Huguenot's and entered the country and settled in London (Poplar) in the late 17th century early 18th century. I have come to a complete stop with a Joseph Gaster born 1737 or 1745. I know the surname may have been different before they entered the country would any kind sole have any tips on how I can proceed

Heather

Heather Report 23 Feb 2009 23:26

Check the trees using search trees tab at the top of the page.

Google with the name for info.

Google for the Hugenots sites.

With the earliest chap - what information did you find on him?

http://www.cyndislist.com/huguenot.htm

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Feb 2009 23:43

There is a registered One Name Study of this surname.
Perhaps the researcher will be able to help.
Contact details here.........

http://www.one-name.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?find=2106

Gwyn

Golfman

Golfman Report 23 Feb 2009 23:44

You may already know but the Familysearch site has birth & marriage for Joseph Gaster along with source material.

You can order this through your nearest centre for a small fee. It may contain additional informtion that may help you move forward.

Alternatively, the London Metropolitan Archives are a good bet if you can get to them.

Miriam

Miriam Report 24 Feb 2009 13:52

Dear David

I noticed your post and thought I should mention that I have found one of my GOATER ancestors on the 1851 census listed as GASTER. I believe that our GOATER clan arrived from France and were originally GOUTIER/ GOUTER.

Someone on one of the boards has been offering Hugenot lookups. I will try and find it for you.

best wishes

Miriam

P.S. Found this reference on Heather Positive Tinker's thread -

Huguenot & Walloon Research Association
Malmaison, Church Street, Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire SN8 3PE

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 24 Feb 2009 16:39

Hi David

I just checked my tree because I have Gasters in my tree and some of mine come from Poplar, London. I wonder if we are connected?

I have a William James C Gaster married to an Elizabeth Barrett, and one of their children was also born in Poplar, and Mile End and then eventually West Ham.

Please feel free to contact me if you think there might be a connection.

Regards
Tracie.