Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FINDING ADDRESSES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 25 Feb 2009 21:05

I know the village that my grandfather was born and grew up in but that's all I've been able to glean from the varous census, I find this really frustrating because I'm longing to know exactly which house he lived in, especially knowing that I must be passing it many times without knowing. Can anyone tell me please if there is any other documentary source where I can find this information . Thankyou

LanarkshireLassie

LanarkshireLassie Report 25 Feb 2009 21:11

Hello Margaret.

Where are we speaking about?

The more information that you can post, re- places, dates, and names, the better chance that you have of a reply.

Good luck with your search.

Gail x

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 25 Feb 2009 21:21

Hello Gail, thankyou for your reply. My grandfather was Tom Woolliscroft, birth reg. Alton, Staffordshire, first quarter 1892. The village is Waterhouses, which sometimes came under Cauldon Low.

Irene

Irene Report 25 Feb 2009 22:30

Wonder if Tom had a brother Richard who went in the army WW1 - his address is Waterhouses, Ashbourne, Derbys. Irene

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Feb 2009 22:33

If it was a small village then the houses were probably not numbered and sometimes there wasn't even a street name - there just didn't need to be as people knew where everyone lived.

Kath. x

Irene

Irene Report 25 Feb 2009 22:58

Googled it and it shows pictures of the village. Have you found the family im the 1901 census. Irene

Irene

Irene Report 26 Feb 2009 08:31

It was hard work finding this actual village in the census, it comes under Burntwood, Edials and Woodhouses, Staffordshire. I found the village in district 14 but could not find your grandfather. Found the village 1891 and there are some Williscrofts so mistranscribbed. What is your grandfather's parents names please. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 26 Feb 2009 12:22

I think Im going senile here, cant see him right date or in the census. Can you just confirm please that you have found him in 1901?

This only one March 1892 - is it him?

Woolliscroft Thomas Stoke T. 6b 204

Ah,. mistrans

Well, if this is him its 80 Rose Street

Name: Thomas Wooliseroft
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Thomas
Mother's Name: Margaret
Where born: Hanley, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Hanley
Ecclesiastical parish: Northwood Holy Trinity
Town: Hanley
County/Island: Staffordshire

Registration district: Stoke upon Trent
Sub registration district: Hanley
ED, institution, or vessel: 20
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 56
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Wooliseroft 45
Margaret Wooliseroft 43
John F Wooliseroft 24
Alice Wooliseroft 16
Mary A Wooliseroft 13
Emily Wooliseroft 11
Thomas Wooliseroft 9
Ellen Wooliseroft 6 months

If you are talking about after this time, you need to buy some units and look on the 1911.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 26 Feb 2009 15:03

If you have his details on the census you should be able to work out from some of the named places and a map which route the enumerator took. That might at least narrow down the possibilities.

My gr gr grandfather shows as living "next to the Red Lion" in his village. I still am not sure in which direction from the pub he lived as the pub is on a corner but it helps a bit ...

Jill

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 26 Feb 2009 22:25

Yes Tom did have a brother Richard, born 1896, I don't know if he was in the army in WW1 though, that's interesting. I've looked through everything I have and even though it's four years ago, I don't remember being able to find Tom on the 1901. I'm afraid I misled you Heather Posi, so sorry, he was born March 3rd but registered second quarter not first. His parents were Mary Ann Prime and John Woolliscroft. Before Tom's birth (specifically 1871,) both his parents were living next door to each other aged 6 and 12 at Hofton's Cross with John's second future wife and family on the other side! I haven't posted on here before although I've been a member for years and you're all so kind and helpful, thankyou very much.

Irene

Irene Report 27 Feb 2009 00:04

Perhaps you cannot find the family 1901 as this maybe his mothers death Mary Ann Woolliscroft died age 33 1897. Regards Irene

Vicci

Vicci Report 27 Feb 2009 07:23

about Cauldon
http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/eng/STS/Cauldon/index.html

Note a George Wooliscroft is mentioned

Vicci

Vicci Report 27 Feb 2009 07:28

if you use www.multimap.com
you can look at an arial view of the area
I expect you could do so with google earth etc as well

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 27 Feb 2009 09:19

By 1901 Tom's father was remarried to Martha Critchlow.

Irene

Irene Report 27 Feb 2009 15:21

Looks like the family lived in Cotton and not Woodhouses
Few doors down from the school house.
1891census father John was single an army reserve living with parents
Thomas & Matilda.
1891 december quarter he married at Cheadle as John Wooliscraft to Mary Ann Prime.
The son born Thomas may have been Thomas John after his grandfather and father and known as
John age 9 (1901 census)
Ralph 7
Richard 6
George Henry 4 who perhaps Mary Ann died giving birth to him in 1897.
When John married Martha it looks like she may have had 2 children out of wedlock.
John born Cauldon living Cotton and the children born either Cotton or Cauldon but no mention of Woodhouses. Regards Irene

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 27 Feb 2009 19:38

The village is Waterhouses Irene, we've always known he grew up there, however, records for the area usually come under Cauldon, Alton, Cheadle etc. Waterhouses, Cauldon, Alton, Farley, Cotton are all adjoining villages, very close to Waterhouses, and Woolliscrofts are in all those churchyards.... Children of John and Mary Ann are;-
Tom b 1892. Ralph b 1893, John b1894, Richard b1896 and George b 1897. So If you've found a Thomas on the 1901 aged 9, then I'm sure that must be my Tom. In spite of his birth certificate he was listed as Thomas later in life . I will also follow up army records and the " few doors down from the school " is a great help, I know where that is. I really appreciate your time and effort, also those of everyone else, thankyou all.