Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Change to access living relllies on tree!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 26 Feb 2009 18:34

I have a big problem and despite emails to GR I cannot seem to change my permission through my account to give everyone access to my living rellies.
I dont know how its changed because no one had any problems before , but I have had a rather distressing message from a contact that thinks I was playing around.Because I dont know what you can see unless I go into some elses account and access my own tree from their acccount.
Aparently all people can see is living relatives! even though they have been dead over 100 yrs.
I have two search engines Firefox and internet explorer .
I had a lot of trouble at one time so I downloaded firefox.
But what I did I forgot to sign out of GR on Internet explorer.
I rectified that BUT I am still getting ERROR that site name is not allowed please choose another.
Any body know what this means??
Unlike some on here I dont have a problem with anyone looking at my tree the only people I dont have record of is my children.
Has any one else had this problem.
I have had quite a lot of problems since the new format, I couldnt even get my own tree up at one stage.
THe only thing some else has suggested is that I am signed in onother computer and I have no idea where that could be.
Any ideas??
If people cannot see my tree and I cant change the permission then there is no point in belonging to GR .

Grumpy

Grumpy Report 26 Feb 2009 18:52

hi nightowl. go to my account. click? you get new page asking for password enter password. youget new page scrolldown you will see do you want to hide living relatives change to no and then click SAVE should be sorted.
p.s. how rude of contacts to hassle you just delete them?

as an aside, if you want to show people that are more than 100 years you can give them a notional death e.g. c1900

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Feb 2009 19:23

Site names with a space are no longer allowed on here, which is why you can't save your changes.

Change it to something like Nightowl51, without the space. You also need to enter your (existing) password to confirm the changes you have made to your account. And dont forget to click on hide relatives whilst you are at it.....!

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 26 Feb 2009 19:25

Try removing the space between Nightowl & 51 at the same time as you make the other changes

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 26 Feb 2009 23:20

Hi Thanks every one I will try it.
So thats what that meant!!
Ill get back to you. and let you know

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 26 Feb 2009 23:35

Hi Every one
Success, but not without another little hitch.
!st I changed my Nightowl ok
Then i put in confirm password again and then it came up already someone registered with that e mail adress and password.
Well of course it was it was me!!.
But if you read that section carefully it states if you want to CHANGE your email and password. It already states what my e mail address and password.is
So I just wiped it out , no new password no confirmation just left it as it blank and voila my new criteria was accepted!!
I know its not rocket science but if you dont know!!!!
Cant thank you all enough.
Carolx

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 Feb 2009 23:47

How strange???
I have a gap in my board name and so have many others and I have no problems.

Nightowl51

Nightowl51 Report 27 Feb 2009 00:53

Hello Jim
I thought that strange as well but have you tried to change anything recently on your account details, password email address?
Thats where it may come to light.
I have been using my board name up until yesterday without any problems. It was only when I wanted to change the tree criteria.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Feb 2009 07:50

Yes, can confirm that as it happened to me. You are ok until you try to change something.

Thanks for the tip about blanking out the email, if you don't want to change it - I hadn't spotted that.

Thelma

Thelma Report 27 Feb 2009 10:50

I have successfully changed details,in my account.,yet still have a space in my board name.
You do not say but are you using the "community name"?
A lot of us leave that blank and use the first name box.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Feb 2009 14:15

Jim, yes, it is the community name that doesn't like blanks