Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

emjay2nan

emjay2nan Report 27 Feb 2009 13:27

Hello

I'm fairly new to all this & this is my first posting - please be gentle with me

Before I invest in a sub to Ancestry or FMP could anyone please advise me if the Parish Records on Ancestry & FMP are the same info that's on the IGI records

Thanks

Kind regards

Emjay

Sam

Sam Report 27 Feb 2009 13:45

Hi Emjay

THe parish records are not exactly the same - Ancestry/FMP have some that aren't on the IGI and vice versa. There are duplicates in which case the info is exactly the sam.

Sam x

Heather

Heather Report 27 Feb 2009 14:02

There are no definitive parish records anywhere online. If you are fortunate to find your family on them its a plus but most of us end up sitting in records offices with reels of film or slides checking the records.

Have a look at the Tips for Newbies thread on here to give an overview. And yes, take the ancestry sub as without it you will be floundering.

emjay2nan

emjay2nan Report 27 Feb 2009 14:12

Hi Sam & Heather

Thanks for info

Kind regards

Emjay

silvery33

silvery33 Report 29 Mar 2009 22:41

Hello emjay
Have only just seen your post regarding PR's but thought I would pass on a hint for anyone who, like me, lives too far away from their area of research to visit local Churches or Record Offices. If you are reasonably near an LDS Family History Centre it is possible to order the Parish Records Film that interests you to view at the Centre.

I recently ordered one for an Essex parish which took only two weeks to arrive and have access to it for 3 months for £.3.60 which is marvellous value.

Regards Yvonne

emjay2nan

emjay2nan Report 30 Mar 2009 14:41

Hi Yvonne

Thanks for the tip - sometimes wish I'd never started this & then I get another good tip & I'm away again

It's vey addictive

Kind regards

Emjay

Ann

Ann Report 30 Mar 2009 15:32

What area are you looking for?
You might want to check out Online Parish Clerk Project - not all counties are covered but you might be lucky

Ann