Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 1 Mar 2009 10:47

A couple of people very kindly posted info on how to check who was in the house on the 1911 census without buying credits.

I realise to view the transcription you need to do this.

Unfortunately I have deleted the instructions so was wondering if anyone knows how to do this.

If you do please try and make it as "simple" as possible.

Will check back later

Many thanks

Paula

Julie

Julie Report 1 Mar 2009 10:54

Paula

You can't do it anymore, FMP got wind of it :((

julie

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 1 Mar 2009 11:00

Thank you Julie

Martin

Martin Report 1 Mar 2009 16:37

hi Paula

If you think you know the address then type in the surname then the address it will list all,
I know a relly lived at 36 Wicker lane, Sheffield from the 1911 directory so typed that in with surname Winfield and it listed all family which is great because i thought that the son albert died in early 1900's this confirmed he's still alive and kicking, so it may be worth trying the address from the 1901 census see if they are still at same house??

Martin

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 1 Mar 2009 23:07

Sorry about the delay in responding thank you Jim and Martin for replying

Regards Paula

WelshShirl

WelshShirl Report 2 Mar 2009 15:57

n

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 15 Mar 2009 23:29

I must be a bit slow here!!!

Jim gave me instructions on how to search a family in the 1911 without have to view the transcription (i.e. paying for credits) I just do not understand how you do this?

I have tried and tried and can't seem to master it.

i.e. Frederick Bowles born 1903 Wandsworth

Thanks once again

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 16 Mar 2009 00:17

Try using a mistranscribed name eg.Bowls

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Mar 2009 01:11

You need to put in Frederick Bowles, born 1903, Wandsworth and Search.

Hopefully you will get just one record. If you get more than one, it won't word so well.

Having got one frederick bowles born 1903 Wandsworth, you use the back button and delete all reference to Frederick and his year of birth, leave in Bowles and Wandsworth, and at the bottom where it says "other people in the house" or similar, add Frederick (surname not needed).

That should pull up a list of people living with Frederick Bowles in Wandsworth.

It is not perfect. If he is lodging with a different family you will get nothing. If there are several Bowles families in the same town, you will get them all and will have to deduce who is in which family, but you can then start to narrow it down, and go through the whole procedure again.

Margaret

Julie

Julie Report 16 Mar 2009 08:13

Paula

If Frederick is still in Wandsworth

Put
Surname: Bowles
Place of Residence: Wandsworth

The only thing is though Bowles is quite a common surname as 124 have come up

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 16 Mar 2009 11:08

Thank you so much everyone for your help - I will now bookmark this page for future reference

Jim once gain you are a star and it is very much appreciated.

I just could not get the hang of how to do this but hopefully will in the future.

Thanks everyone

Regards Paula