Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice wanted please, Family Tree Programs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 2 Mar 2009 12:09

Hello, not sure if I am posting in the correct place....but here goes.

I am going to buy a family tree builder for my computer, one that doesn't involve all my information being kept on the web alone. Is there a particular one I should be looking for?

Ideally, I would like one with enough information fields to be able to clearly see the information about tree members and get a picture of their life from the onset. I am looking for one that would allow me to link to existing members (for those who married cousins, second cousins etc.). I also need it to be able to store a large number of names and details, for many many generations (my verified tree goes into BC).

Above all, I need something that is reliable, easy to use, easily shared...and works on Vista

Thank You!

Ron

Ron Report 2 Mar 2009 13:22

Hi Emma.

This question crops up almost every week, try typing Family Tree Programs into the Enter Keyword search box window for this board and you will see the many previous answers to this question.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Alan

Alan Report 2 Mar 2009 13:30

You have many options.............it's a question of what suits you best. I use Family Tree Maker 2009 but try a google with "family tree maker" and see what comes up.

Emma

Emma Report 2 Mar 2009 14:43

Thank you for your replies, I will do both suggestions.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Mar 2009 15:45

Verified into BC - that's clever!

Emma

Emma Report 2 Mar 2009 16:55

Not sure whether that is meant as sarcasm or not...so I have sent a message to explain.

Joy

Joy Report 2 Mar 2009 16:58

There are some free ones, including the following, that you could try first before buying one.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
Free PAF Family History Software
Personal Ancestral File (PAF) is a free genealogy and family history program.

Emma

Emma Report 2 Mar 2009 17:22

Thank You Joy

Emma

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Mar 2009 18:00

Emma

Whichever way it is read it is a staggering thing to be able to do.

Emma

Emma Report 2 Mar 2009 18:47

After getting to the 1500's(all verified by records up until then) one line of my family is directly descended from European Royalty so I was then able to get out the history books and see who's parents were who and so on and so forth. I ended up in Mesopotamia circa. 200 BC.

Emma

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Mar 2009 18:56

I've given up trying to work out how many generations you wil have - my Family Tree Maker says it can go to 250. It is something you will need to check on any program you fancy trying. Good luck with your choice.

Emma

Emma Report 2 Mar 2009 19:02

I have been having a look at specs on lots of different ones and its making my mind boggle. I have decided after much debating with myself to order the 'who do you think you are', 'Legion' and 'Family Tree Maker'. I can then try them all out and give the ones I do not want, to someone else who can put them to good use.

Thank You Everyone for your help!

Joy

Joy Report 2 Mar 2009 19:22

You're welcome.