Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fork in the road

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 3 Mar 2009 09:22

I'm trying to trace a Josiah Taylor. I've worked backwards from the 1911 census, but I've only got as far as 1901!
He married a Margaret and I've got 9 children for him up to 1911. The correct children exist in 1901 (William, Josiah ans Earnest), so I know I've got the same Josiah in both censuses. I can't get any further back because his place of birth is different in both censuses (Stoke in 1901 and Manchester in 1911).
Could any one please offer some advice on which to believe or how to unravel this?
Many thanks - it's driving me crazy!!

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 3 Mar 2009 09:25

for ref:

1901 England Census
about Josiah Taylor
Name: Josiah Taylor
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Margaret
Where born: Stoke, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: North Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: Beswick and Bradford Christchurch
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View Image

Registration district: Prestwich
Sub registration district: Newton
ED, institution, or vessel: 31
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 176
Household Members:
Name Age
Josiah Taylor 28
Margaret Taylor 25
William Taylor 5
Josiah Taylor 4
Ernest Taylor 11 months

View
Original
Record

View original image
V

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 3 Mar 2009 09:26

possible marriage:

Marriages Sep 1895 (>99%)
Abbott Margaret Prestwich 8d 514 Scan available - click to view
Hancock George Fletcher Prestwich 8d 514 Scan available - click to view
Percival Herbert Pickston Prestwich 8d 514 Scan available - click to view
Taylor Josiah Prestwich 8d 514 Scan available - click to view
Wells Janet Prestwich 8d 514 Scan available - click to view

PME

PME Report 3 Mar 2009 09:29

Whats his proffession, for relatives whose birth place changes cross checking proffession on earlier census can help narrow down the options.

If I were you I would use www.freebmd.org.uk to find Josiah and Margarets marriage. The site I have refered to is free to use and can be very, very helpful.

Another thing that helps is ordering certificates espically if you have mutipul options thrown up by the census or bmd indexs. Intially I was a bit gun ho with my tree, on ordering certificates I have relaised I made some major errors. Certificates shouldn't cost more than £7 if you order them online from www.gro.gov.uk (government website, all the rest order through these and charge a premium).

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Mar 2009 11:29

Buy a copy of the birth certificate for one of Josiah and Margaret's children.
That will give you her maiden name and so help to find the correct marriage of the couple.
Hopefully a copy of Josiah and Margaret's marriage certificate will show Josiah's father's details, enabling you to find Josiah, when young, with his family in census.

Gwyn

Andrea

Andrea Report 3 Mar 2009 15:35

Wow! Thank you to everyone who has replied. The marriage to Margaret Abbott looks spot on - it's in the right location and to a person with the right name. As their first child was born 1895/6, it looks very likey!

Blosson - Can I ask how you get those search results for marriages? I've subscribed to ancestry and know how to search the marriage records, but how do you cross check them like you've done below? Thanks!

Andrea

Andrea Report 3 Mar 2009 16:17

Thanks Jonesey - I've looked back at freeBMD and sussed it out.
I have to admit that I looked there the other day and thought I'd have to spend hours transcribing, so I abandoned it....