Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What to do with documents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Mar 2009 10:23

I have just started reseaching the family. I have a family bible which has various documents about a Henry Rogers, A call up paper for the Durham militia in 1827, his indenture to be a millwright in 1799 and a handwritten marriage certificate to a Sarah Rofs ( Ross I assume) in 1811. I have found the couple in the 1841 census and him alone in the 1851 census. I am now stuck as no children were listed on the census return.
There are no known Rogers in the family but I would assume he is a relative as all these documents have been kept.
Any suggestions greatly recieved.

Patsy Gardner

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Mar 2009 10:47

They were married in Bishopwearmouth which is part of Sunderland.
There do seem to be quite a few Rogers/Rodgers arround, I will have to do some trawling through and try and link up some families.
Thanks for advice.
Is there any way to trace his military record from the Durham militia?

Patsy

Heather

Heather Report 3 Mar 2009 12:51

Trouble is Pat, you seem to have jumped into this period without knowledge of more recent ancestry. If you worked backwards, through certs and censuses it may come clear to you how they fit in.

Lovely things to have though - lucky you.

Check out Tips for Newbies thread.

This is on familysearch.org by the way It is extracted so reliable - have a search on there for any kids born to this couple.

HENRY RODGERS Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: SARAH ROSS Family
Marriage:
01 DEC 1811 Bishopwearmouth, Durham, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
M000461 1567 - 1812 0091083 Film 6905696 Film
M000461 1854 - 1877 0091084 Film NONE
Sheet: 00

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Mar 2009 13:20

Thanks for looking into their marriage. I have asked for a few certificates re family in 1880s but was just checking about other ways round.
Being very new to this I am greatful for any advice.
Thanks for familysearch site will look into it.

Patsy

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 3 Mar 2009 13:28

The purchase of his death certificate MAY give you an informant (given that his wife had already died) that was one of his children.

But like Heather I would strongly recommend that you start researching back from you and what you know...Before trying to research forward.

Chris