Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Decyphering Old Will

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Golfman

Golfman Report 3 Mar 2009 23:12

I have a will dated 1589 and the writing is very difficult to read.

I have been to the National Archives website and done their tutorial which has helped and I have managed to deypher almost 100%.

Problem is I still have some words that I just can't seem to decypher and they are key words to the will.

I have the original copy in pdf format and a transcribed copy in Word indicating the words I can not decypher.

Is there any website or facilty where I could upload these documents for someone to look at and hopefully (1) check that what I have decyphered is correct, and (2) fill in the words that I am unable to decypher.

Thanks

Carole

Carole Report 3 Mar 2009 23:44

Hello Brandyman
I too have been asking about old wills and in the course of my replies I got this snippet from Heather Posi

"scanning bits of documents, ... if you go over to Family Tree Forum and the Research Board, you can upload any parts of documents for others to see and read for you."

I haven't tried it but it might be what you need?
Good luck
Carole

Peterkinz

Peterkinz Report 4 Mar 2009 02:37

If no-one else offers, pm me and I'll send my email address - then send them to me and I'll have a look - am no expert but have done several.

Peter

Vicci

Vicci Report 4 Mar 2009 07:06

have a look at this - don't know if it works!?!
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/

Heather

Heather Report 4 Mar 2009 10:00

http://www.familytreeforum.com/index.php

Go to the Research board, Q and A - you can upload from your puter or from photo bucket bits of docs you cant read.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 4 Mar 2009 12:23

Something I do which helps is to lay a sheet of tracing paper (actually use draughtsman's sheets which are a bit more translucent) over the top of the document and attach it to the top with a clip or two so I can flip it up if I want a closer look.

I use a pencil to write the transcribed words as I spot them on the tracing sheet.

I forget about worrying about the meaning of sentences and just look at individual words or letters. I often have the paper out for days and glance at it every now and then (a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle).

Gradually words emerge and I spot the same word in several places or recognise an oddly written letter. Eventually sentences appear and then I actually read the sense of it.

I find this so much easier than trying to read the document as a whole and writing over on another sheet of paper then changing my mind and rubbing sections out and getting lost!

Sue