Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Illegitimate Offspring

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorna

Lorna Report 4 Mar 2009 20:45

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to find out the father of illegitimate offspring. Following a significant amount of research and some wrong turns I appear to have established the identity of my GGG Grandfather but since it is a fairly high profile family not sure of the best way to approach the topic. It would appear that this person had an affair with one of his maid's in 1869. Is there any harm in contacting the estate of this person and asking if they have any records to confirm if she actually worked for them? Many thanks.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2009 20:54

you can't find the name of the father of an illegimate child UNLESS he did one or more of the following things

a) accompanied the mother to the registrar and agreed to have his name on the birth certificate

b) the vicar made a notation in the margin of the parish register when the baby was baptized as to the putative father ....... some did, occasionally!

c) there was a maintenance or bastardy order taken out under which he had to pay child support

d) the mother left a note as to the name of the father

as far as contacting the estate ...... what is your intent in contacting them? Just to add another piece in the jigsaw??

They MAY think that you are approaching them for money.

Also remember, that a son or husband of the house seducing the maids was something that was almost expected in those days. Yes, everyone tut-tutted ..... but no-one did much to stop it!

I doubt it would be an "affair" in the normal sense of the usage of the word. More likely to be he seduced her, took advantage of her, then left her in the lurch!

sylvia

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 4 Mar 2009 20:57

Lorna

It would do no harm in asking if she worked there as this could be an innocent enquiry to help fill in the blanks about your ancestors. Your dilema would start if the answer was yes.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 5 Mar 2009 10:28

Even if you found she had worked there it would not prove anything

Families often explained away illigitimacy by claiming descent ,rightly or wrongly, from the local aristocracy !

I often wonder how much of this would be described as rape these days

I have the reverse in my tree-
My 2 x gt grandfather was illigitimate and the family at that time were local landowners beside his baptism entry the vicar has entered

....s of Anne L and George Davis ..footman !!

so you may be lucky if you find the baptism

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Mar 2009 10:46

You might find mention of the child in the father's Will.....perhaps not so likely if the high-profile family wanted to keep this quiet, but...
We have a Will where the father ( different surname to the child ) leaves money to 'Thomas Davies, my natural son'.

Gwyn

Lorna

Lorna Report 5 Mar 2009 19:21

Thank you for all your ideas. Definitely given me some different areas of enquiry to consider.

I don't want anything from the family but if it's true then ultimately means that I'm connected to a lot of the English Royals through history which is what makes it exciting for me to find out.

Through several members of the family there is knowledge that when my GG Grandfather died representatives of a family with connections to both Wales and Scotland arrived and removed documents from the farm.

My GG Grandfather was brought up by relations of his Mum and no-one in the local family appears to have had the funds to have set him up with the farm when he married.

Blindcrake

Blindcrake Report 14 Apr 2010 23:39

Lorna
I have a very similar situation.Prior to my dads death in a car accident 1995 the question of his parentage was taboo and very rarely mentioned.After his death I quized an old lady who new my dad all her life she informed me his mother was in service at the local parish hall (1920s) as she put it he was the result of a liaison in the linnen cupboard with his lord and master that was his favourite spot.The upshot being near to his birth his mum was sent out of the area (Lochmaben Scotland) for the birth.I have postcards from the time to back this up they then returned home and dads early life was spent in a creche with other family members to eventually be moved out into the local comunity to be brought up by family members.
My problem being I cannot find any record of his birth.
Will it be in Scotland ? Idont know how long he remained there after he was born.His mum and family were active methodists and I am sure he would have been christened
but not sure where.I have a copy of his marriage cirtificate
but his parents are not named.
I would be pleased if anyone could advise me.There
must be a record of his birth somewhere

Blindcrake

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Apr 2010 14:30

Hi Blindcrake, you have responded to an old post but I think you would be better beginning a new thread of your own. Hope this helps. Cx.