Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Problem with the 1881 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Mar 2009 15:15

I have never been able to find my Great Grandfather Edwin Thomas Brown on the 1881 and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Also, there is no birth registration for him. His family is on the 1891 thus:-

52 Hall Place, Paddington

John Hazell Head 34 Carman b St Pancras
Emma Hazell Wife 32 b Marylebone
Alice Hazell dau 1 b Paddington
Edwin Thomas Brown stepson 12 b Paddington
Thomas Brown stepson 3 b Paddington

Edwin Thomas married in 1899 and gave his father's name as Thomas Brown (deceased) Carman.

On the 1901 he is shown as Edwin T Brown 22 b Paddington.

I have now established that Emma was not married to John Hazell. The informant on her death cert was her other son Thomas Brown. He describes her as the widow of JOSEPH Brown a carman. On the birth cert of Alice Hazell she is described as Emma Hazell formerly Brown.

I have tried looking for marriages of Thomas/Joseph Browns and Emmas. I then look for the possible Emmas on the 1871 but the date or place of birth are always wrong.

The birth of Edwin Thomas Brown registered in Kensington in 1880 is the son of William Brown & Eliza Rogers. I even purchased a birth cert dated 1885 in Marylebone, but again this was the wrong Edwin Thomas Brown.

Can anyone help?

Debbie

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Mar 2009 15:40

1881 England Census
about John Brown
Name: John Brown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1855
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Emma
Where born: Camden Town, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: Paddington
County/Island: London

Street address: 7 Braithwaite Pl
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Kensington
Sub registration district: St Mary Paddington
ED, institution, or vessel: 12b
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Brown 26
Emma Brown 22
Thomas Brown 3
James Brown
William Suckling 22

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Mar 2009 15:48

birth?
Edward Thomas Brown 1878 Apr-May-Jun Kensington

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Mar 2009 15:50

Thank you both. As it happens, I found the same entry this afternoon. As Emma's husband's name was in doubt, I looked for a marriage between John Brown and Emma in the area at around the correct time. The only Emmas I found were Lilly and Tarling. I could not find them on the 1871 with the correct birthplace and date so assumed this was yet another dead end.

Debbie

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Mar 2009 15:54

marriage
John Brown 1875 Kensington Greater London, London, Middlesex
Emma Tarling
---------------------------------------------------
birth
Emma Tarling 1858 Apr-May-Jun Marylebone (1837-1901) London, Middlesex

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Mar 2009 16:19

Wow! Thank you Jim. I had looked for Emma Tarling on the 1871 but had not thought to look for a birth reg. I shall follow this up now.

Debbie