Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone read this job title?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 7 Mar 2009 15:25

Hi

Looking at 1891 census for Mary A Watkins born in Chelsea, living in Islington. Father is John Watkins and Mother is Margaret. The address is 22 Palmerston Road, Islington. Can anyone read the job title for Margaret (junior - age 18)? Looks like Laundress' ????

Thanks

Julie

Julie Report 7 Mar 2009 15:32

Looks like Ironer to me

Allison

Allison Report 7 Mar 2009 15:35

Yes maybe Julie - don't you sometimes wish they would write more clearly and not have all these marks over the census ;)

Julie

Julie Report 7 Mar 2009 15:39

Allison

After a while you get used to the hand writing......but what helped me a lot was

If you go back to the 1891 to where you put the details on the right hand side the is something that says >>> handwriting help<<< click on the writing in Green and it'll bring up another page with all the old style writing

Allison

Allison Report 7 Mar 2009 15:41

ooooh thanks Julie - didn't know about that - will have to go and have a look

x

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 7 Mar 2009 15:45

Just wanted to say thanks to Julie for the 'Handwriting Help' tip on Ancestry. I've never noticed this before!

Julie

Julie Report 7 Mar 2009 15:53

You're welcome

I have sat boss-eyed looking at that many time lol

Stevie

Stevie Report 7 Mar 2009 16:01

Hi Julie, I've been a member with ancestry for 4 yrs & hadn't noticed that tip.
A big thank you Julie,

Steve
xx

Julie

Julie Report 7 Mar 2009 16:04

You're welcome Steve

I think i'll put this up as a thread