Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are Northern Ireland bmd's separate from 'England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nichola

Nichola Report 11 Mar 2009 16:03

Hi, I am quite new to this but was wondering if anyone could help me. My uncle John Edward Phillips b1937 in Lewisham committed suicide when he was in the Army based in Northern Ireland. My mum thinks he was about 21 when he died (so round about 1958) and I am trying to locate his death certificate. However, I couldnt find him using the normal bmd route, so wondered if Northern Ireland is separate. Please can someone help me. Thanks.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Mar 2009 16:18

This is the site for Northern Ireland BMDS:

www.groni.gov.uk/
Not sure if you can do searches, though

Nichola

Nichola Report 11 Mar 2009 18:13

Thanks for your help. Will try later on this evening. Will let you know how I got on! Nicky

Nichola

Nichola Report 13 Mar 2009 17:46

Hi, I'm back again. I used the groni site as mentioned and unfortunately they do searches but you have to know specifically where in Northern Ireland my uncle committed suicide in. My mum was only told Northern Ireland and as a teenager, didnt need to know anymore details. However, my Nan is 91 years old, bless her, and cant ask her as she gets upset talking about her history.
So, I asked them in Ireland if they knew where I could go to next, they had no idea.
Do they not have bmd records that I can look at online????
I know im waffling, but if anyone has any other ideas I would be very grateful. Thank you

Nichola

Nichola Report 15 Mar 2009 17:44

Thank you for your help. I will look into this. Thanks