Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 12 Mar 2009 01:14

New to this site (Gold member)...... when I try to seach records no matter what I try for I get the reply "No matches" even when I know what I put in is correct, dates names etc. I have not managed to get any info at all yet !
Am I missing something obvious ???

Wesley

Wesley Report 12 Mar 2009 03:01

when you do a search try going simple first before putting everything you know in at once does sometimes come up with no matches so try say putting just the name in first then add a bit more if you feel it is required i hope this helps a little.,,,wes

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Mar 2009 03:21

do not put in exact birth year, or date

use 1888 +/5

do not use full name

ie, not Joanne Margaret Parkinson ......................... better use Joan* Park*

where * is a wild card

do not put in, eg, Lancashire, Manchester

start off with Lanc*

in searching genealogical records less is better!

sylvia

Heather

Heather Report 12 Mar 2009 11:41

But you say this happens every time you search?

Are you searching for something that wont be on the records? Such as recent deaths or births?

Give us an example of the problem.