Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Dooley born in France 1804 - WHY ?!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 12 Mar 2009 16:49

This is a bit of a mystery for our family. I have been able to trace my mother's paternal relations back to John Dooley once he is living in England. However, on the English census's (or is that censi ?), it is marked he was born in France. Very strange as the English weren't particularly liked at that time. Perhaps his father was Irish ? No idea of his mother's origins. Perhaps French.
Any ideas, anyone?

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 12 Mar 2009 16:53

Do you want to put some names up and we'll have a look?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Mar 2009 03:23

wasn't there a bit of a break in the Napoleanic Wars at that point, and the Brits flocked over there

....... there were always a lot of Brits living in France and doing the Grand Tour in the 16 to 19th century

Fishermen going over there,

smugglers, etc etc

Of course, his father could have been a soldier, and his mother a camp follower.

It could be very difficult to find out ..... you're really looking for bapitm records at that period. Not sure what is available for France. And was he baptized in England, and was he Catholic or Protestant

sylvia

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 13 Mar 2009 03:28

Just to set your mind at rest, I was told by somebody who knew latin that the plural of census is censuses because it wasn't the right type of noun to be converted to censi. Don't ask me why, I just bow to the scholars.

Ozi.