Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors born before 1837!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hannah

Hannah Report 12 Mar 2009 17:48

I know all records after 1837 are all kept in one place but what about those before?

My ancestor James Mayo was born in Bath, Somerset in 1837! and i'm having trouble getting a hold of his B Cert which i need to carry on my direct line backwards.

If anyone has had similar experiences then please let me know how you overcame it, i'd REALLY appreciate it thankyou

Hannah x

Sam

Sam Report 12 Mar 2009 17:53

Before Q3 of 1837 when civil registration began, there weren't any birth certificates.

Prior to this, you need to be looking for baptisms in the parish records. These are usually held at the Records Office or Local Archives for the area in question. Some are available online on Ancestry, on the IGI (www.familysearch.org) and some can be found by googling the place name and 'parish records'.

Sam x

Julia in Germany

Julia in Germany Report 12 Mar 2009 17:55

Hi Hannah,

You need to look at church records for his baptism. Try Genuki, to see if there are any online records for Bath, or familysearch.

Good luck.

Julia