Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help on how to find a surname

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 12 Mar 2009 19:26

I have searched for the surname of my great grandfather 2nd wife's surname, I have found what I believe is his marriage but it only shows his name the quarter of the year and where it is registered, plus the volume number and page, where do I find the surname, where am I going wrong Help please.

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 12 Mar 2009 19:38

She may have been mistranscribed.

What is your great grandfather's name, and date and place of marriage?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 12 Mar 2009 19:58

It one of those cases where you have to buy the certificate to get the other halfs name, Or you need to buy a childs birth certificate if you know it is theirs.

Irene

Irene Report 12 Mar 2009 20:26

Hi Christina,
I am still new to this and I have sent you a message, I think, I clicked on your name and found I could send you a message, then I have just realised I am possibly supposed to reply this way to your post, so did you get my message about my great grandfather's details

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 12 Mar 2009 20:31

Irene,

I am so sorry, I hadn't realised how new you are to this.

If you found the marriage entry on Freebmd, click on the page number (1122) and it will bring up all the marriages on that page, including your Maria.

Marriages Dec 1892 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Franklin Elijah South Shields 10a 1122

Irene

Irene Report 12 Mar 2009 20:35

Thankyou Christina, I will have a go. Thank you very much

Irene

Irene Report 12 Mar 2009 20:47

Hello again Christina, if I have done it correctly, I have gone into Freebmd, hoping I have the correct information, worked out Maria's surname is Matthews. I just hope I am right, I get so confused trying to work out these different search programmes, if that is the correct term, as I say I am new to it.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Mar 2009 20:54

Remember that the name at marriage might not be her name at birth.
There is a chance that a female could have previously married and then marry again using her 1st spouses surname.

Gwyn

Irene

Irene Report 12 Mar 2009 20:58

Thats confusing me more Gwyn, so how do I go about finding that out.

Christina(Lancashire)

Christina(Lancashire) Report 12 Mar 2009 21:06

One way would be to trace her back through the censuses.

1901 gives her born c1844 in Bradin Suffolk.

Do you have access to the 1891 to look for her on there?

Irene

Irene Report 12 Mar 2009 21:07

Thanks Christina your help gave me success, I will get the hang of this search sooner or later. Thanks again.

Irene

Irene Report 12 Mar 2009 22:44

Yes Christina i have access to the census but not always sure of what I am doing, I am in Ancestry but I don't think I use it properly, I think that may be my biggest problem, I am just so grateful that there are good and kind people like yourself out there willing to help people like me who want to do it but often get very mixed up and not sure of what I am doing. But I will try going back as you suggest, because of your last suggest I did have success. Thank you and a BIG thank you