Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A couple of questions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gosport

Gosport Report 14 Mar 2009 04:51

I have a marriage certificate dated 1864, the brides father was stated as a Chemist and as the word deceased is not there I presumed that he would be alive, however on the 1861 census her mother was a widow and I cannot find his death between 1851 and 1861. On the census in 1851 he was a Gentleman and in the 1841 census he was a rag merchant, Now my questions are, was it usual to state that the brides father was deceased at the time of marriage? Also what are the chances of changing occupations from rag merchant to gentleman to chemist? On his wife's death certificate he was also a chemist. I have double checked and I do have the correct person. I'm sorry to ramble but I am getting very frustrated. Regards Cherryl

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 Mar 2009 05:48

Hi Cherryl,

From what I've read on here, the father isn't always noted as deceased on marriage certificates, even if he were.

The occupations changes are a bit suspicious. Can you list details?

Rose

basman

basman Report 14 Mar 2009 11:13

Hi Gosport,
I have come across the term "gentleman" used to indicate when someone was retired. A ragman to a chemist does seem a far stretch,(are you sure you have the correct 1841 census? ) On the other hand a chemist might have been used to fancy up someone who sold remedies, the home made or herbal kind :-) As for not finding his death he could have been out of the area at the time , so would have been registerd where he died -----difficult to find.

basman

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 14 Mar 2009 14:15

On my mother's marriage cert she did not mention her father was deceased - he had been dead for 20 years by then! I think it depends on who asks the question and how they ask it!

Jill

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Mar 2009 15:07

A person with the occupation of Chemist does not have to be what we no today as a Pharmacist,

My brother in law once worked in a factory that made tar based products and his job title was down as Chemist.

Roy