Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workhouses on the Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 14 Mar 2009 15:50

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has already been done but I thought it might be a good idea to collect all the Workhouse census references. For instance, I have found one of my ancestors in Mile End Old Town Workhouse in the 1891 census. I had to scroll back 19 pages to find out what Workhouse it was and on the way found another relative.

If you have found a relative in a workhouse, could you please add to this thread the information:- IMPORTANT What census Year first then Name of Workhouse, and area, and the source citation (found on ancestry it will look something like this):

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 313; Folio 108; Page 1; GSU roll: 6095423.

So, my addition to the list is as follows:

CENSUS 1891 Mile End Old Town, London (known also as Middlesex and later Tower Hamlets)
SOURCE CITATION Class: RG12; Piece: 313; Folio 108; Page 1; GSU roll: 6095423.

Thought that this might help with some of the missing people that may be in the workhouse mistranscribed! Just a thought.

Kind regards
Angela

Angela

Angela Report 23 Mar 2009 22:34

Another one!

1901 CENSUS
POPLAR UNION WORKHOUSE - LONDON
Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 358; Folio: 89; Page: 3.

Regards
An9ie

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 23 Mar 2009 23:05

An9ie, you shouldn;t have to scroll back 19 pages, if you are using Ancestry you can just go to page 1, or click on the record above the page to view the district - a workhouse was often a district on its own.

Margaret

Heather

Heather Report 23 Mar 2009 23:38

I think we could fill a huge amount of pages with workhouse inmates Andie :) And to be honest I cant really see how listing all our ancestors in workhouses on here would help?

If you find a mistranscription make sure you make a correction on ancestry.

Oh, just followed you mean list all the refs for workhouses? If you get a big institution or if a man is a soldier in barracks, it is a case of looking at the page number and then clicking for page 1, which should give you the name of the institution, barracks/regiment etc. (As stated above :))

Be aware that many institutions only used initials for inmates.

Angela

Angela Report 24 Mar 2009 09:12

Hi Heather

A few years back when I first had a subscription to Ancestry there was a link to Ancestry that you could use if someone had been mistranscribed. That option seems to have disappeared. Do you know how to contact them with each mistranscription? I have loads that are mistranscribed.

Thanks
Angie

Heather

Heather Report 24 Mar 2009 11:13

Its still there. Just click on the person who is mistransed - on the left hand side there is a box with various links including "comments and corrections" - just click on that and complete the form that comes up