Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probs on Medway City Ark???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Mar 2009 20:40

Hi, is it just me or is anyone else experiencing probs on the above site? It was the same last night.

I use it quite a lot so am quite familiar with it but when I've tried tonight and clicked on parish records online I get the heading and then a blank page. Any thoughts?

Sue

Sue Report 16 Mar 2009 21:28

Hi Cynthia, I've never used this site before but have just tried and had the same problem as you described. I would think it was a problem at their end, so can only suggest you keep trying or perhaps e-mail them directly.
regards
Sue

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Mar 2009 21:34

Thanks Sue. It's a brilliant site if you have families in that area. Will wait till tomorrow and then email them I guess. Thanks again.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 16 Mar 2009 22:03

It does go peculiar when they are doing maintenance etc.

Jill (in East Kent)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 16 Mar 2009 22:22

Thanks Jill - it's such a good site - I can browse through those registers for ages. Let's hope they're adding more parishes!!!

poppycat

poppycat Report 17 Mar 2009 04:51

Unbelievable! This morning i had to go out for a few hours & checked Medway CityArk & WOW! was up & running but i couldn't spend time searching now i'm back home, just checked it again...............Not working! seems they are always doing maintenance since i started with that site a few yrs ago ..........i seem to have a good run then nothing.
Has anyone else had that problem?

Nicole

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Mar 2009 14:10

Have never usually had a problem so I have just emailed them. Going out soon but will try again this evening.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Mar 2009 20:16

I've had a reply to say they are experiencing probs with the site and apologies!! Hey ho.

Pollypen

Pollypen Report 26 Mar 2009 18:12

It would be nice for them to announce when work is going on or any problems, a notice on their Home page would be sufficient.I have for the last week logged on daily only to see a blamk page when i go to Parish's online.
It is such a great site as most of my ancestors are from the Gravesend area and i was even able to tell my 80year father that he had been baptised.

Pollypen

Pollypen Report 26 Mar 2009 18:16

Friends of Cityark have a statement on their page .
"Cityark have reach its storage capacity and are waiting for a Server Upgrade."

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 26 Mar 2009 18:17

When their site goes down it annoys them too as their own staff need to access it. They'll all be tearing their hair out until it is fixed!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Mar 2009 18:45

It's so frustrating isn't it? I have emailed them yet again and received the same apology. I have been able to access marriage and baptisms for my family right back to the 1700's on that site. It's great ........when it's working!! Hope it won't be too long.

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 27 Mar 2009 09:09

I'm not surprised they are having issues with storage as their records have been scanned at very high resolutions. While this is totally appropriate for digitising such an archive, the scans in that form are not ideal for internet access. Each image file is huge. Dreadful if you are on dial up, which many people still are.

I always wondered why they did not have a 2 tier system in which they make public the compressed or lower dpi or smaller image size versions. That would reduce the pressure on their servers, free up millions of gigabytes AND make image retrieval and download ever so efficient.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Apr 2009 09:51

It's back and hopefully without anymore probs. !!!