Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what else is bessie short for please??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 17 Mar 2009 19:48

Hi all,

i have a scrapbook which belonged to my great grandfather Frederick Fagan. the message on the front page reads "to our dear little Freddie with love from Bessie"

it has a decorated monthly calender inside of it and i have used a website to check what years had wednesday as the first of jan. Fred was born in 1900 and i have found 1902,1908 and 1913 each began on wednesday the first.

my problem is who is Bessie? i have all his parents siblings and parents but i can't find anything which would jump out at me as bessie. i don't have anyone who was born Elizabeth or Bessie, is there anything else this could be short for please?

Thank you,
Leanne.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2009 19:52

there's an old rhyme:

Elizabeth, Elspeth, Betsy and Bess,
They all went together to seek a bird's nest.
They found a bird's nest with five eggs in,
They all took one, and left four in.*

All four names are the same- diminutives of Elizabeth and can be interchanged - or names in their own right!
Betty can be added to the list as well.

:) still smiling :) Report 17 Mar 2009 20:00

hmm thank you Maggie,

i guess i will just have to keep searching. they lived in a relatively small place, i may try to just search for bessie's in the same area on the census. Thank you very much its given me a couple more ideas.which is always a good thing :)

Thank you again,
Leanne.

Krissie

Krissie Report 17 Mar 2009 20:19

Bessie could be her middle name.
I had this with a relative of mine, I was searching everywhere for a May without success. Then I heard from a family member that her name was Selina May!!

Could Bessie have been a family servant?
Or little Freddie's godmother?
Have a look to see who the witnesses were on Freddie's parents' marriage cert, or on Freddie's marriage cert.

I have often found this to throw up good links.
good luck, Krissie

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 17 Mar 2009 20:21

My aunt is simply Bessie on her birth certificate. She also made the best Yorkshires you have ever tasted.

:) still smiling :) Report 17 Mar 2009 20:38

Thank you to both of you.

i have both marriage certs:
on his parents is his mothers brother and sister and on his own marriage cert is his brother and his wife's father. so no help there! I don't know about the possibility of her being his godmother as i haven't yet found any baptism record for him.

I have found a birth for an Bessie Avenall (his mothers maiden name) on freebmd but have not been able to find a link there. i have them all on census' etc and did originally think she could be a cousin but i haven't found the link through the census yet.

lol at your aunt bessie's yorkshire puds! :D

Leanne.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Mar 2009 00:03

Leanne,

Which Frederick born 1900 is yours?

Rose

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 18 Mar 2009 01:06

Could Bessie be someone who married into the family.
Wife of a Fagan. After all its usually the women who send the cards

:) still smiling :) Report 21 Mar 2009 11:18

hi all,

i am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you all. i have got no internet at home at the moment so i am having to use a friends computer as and when i can.

She could be someone who married in i suppose- i hadn't thought of that. i have all the fagan marriages and they are to a Mary, an Ada and a Kate. i do not know about some of his mothers brothers.

My Fred in 1900 is this one:

Name: Fred J Fagan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Relation: Son
Father's Name: James G
Mother's Name: Robina
Where born: Pirbright, Surrey, England

Civil Parish: Woking
Ecclesiastical parish: St John the Baptist
County/Island: Surrey

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Guildford
Sub registration district: Woking
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 240
Household Members: Name Age
James G Fagan 28
Robina Fagan 22
Fred J Fagan 11 months

The mother should actually Be Rosina. James is James George Fagan Born in exeter, Devon in 1873. Rosina was born Pirbright, Surrey in around 1880. The couple married there on 7th April 1900 and young Fred was born 8th April 1900 (quite the scandal! ) on the marriage cert the fathers are Adam Fagan and James Avenall. i have all the info on the fagan and avenall families (with some help for the kind ppl on Genes. :) ) and the witnesses are Harriet Hatfield (Rosina's sister, under her married name) and John Avenall (her brother). The Avenall's are a bit of a pain because on various records they spell their name AvenEll, AvenILL and AvenAll.

the couple then had a son Albert Charles Victor Fagan in 1903 in guildford reg district. I have the family on the 1911 too. living in Merstham Surrey (where they remained until their deaths in 1946 and 1948 respectively) transcribed as Fagar

Thank you all for looking. i have to come off the computer now but i will check back on a bit later in the day. once again thank you all very much for your assistance and i am so sorry i have not got back to you all until now.

Leanne.