Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is my logic flawed?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dal

Dal Report 19 Mar 2009 18:08

These aren't the real names or references, so please don't run off looking on the birth and death indices. I really just want to check my logic.

Are the two people shown below really the same person?

John Smith b OND 1945 (mother's maiden Jones), ref 8a 502
John Smith d AMJ 1946 ref 8a 507

John Black b OND 1945 (mother's maiden Jones), ref 8a 502
John Black d AMJ 1946 ref 8a 507

thanks in advance

Alan

Alan Report 19 Mar 2009 18:24

Dont think so.
OND ...Oct/Nov/Dec...........being the quarter of registration.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Mar 2009 20:46

probably coincidental ........ all are common surnames in your example.

the only way to tell would be to get the certificates, and see the full names of the parents.

Now, if the real names are unusual, then there might be a more interesting scenario!

sylvia

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Mar 2009 20:55

Quite possibly - check the images of the actual index - there might be some helpful footnotes. I don't know if it's possible to check all the images for these two pages - one could on FreeBMD, but they're not up to 1945 yet.
I'm wondering if there's more than the standard number of names on these two pages.
There are several possible scenarios that could cause this. One possibility is the widow Smith had John, and John's father, Mr Black, agreed to his name being recorded as father. The record was later corrected for some reason. Alternatively, the birth was initially rego'ed as John Smith, and 6m later, Mr Brown was persuaded to appear, and the birth rerego'ed with the two names. John was free to use either. (Of course, he's free to call himself whatever he likes, but the GRO is a bit paranoid about this, it seems.)

EDIT For Mr Brown read Mr Black - simple case of colour blindness on my part

Julie

Julie Report 19 Mar 2009 21:19

I think they could be

John Smith d AMJ 1946 ref 8a 507
John Black d AMJ 1946 ref 8a 507

This John is down twice cos the parents were not married to each other & Mr Black needs to be there to sign the register so his son can have his surname

Same as above but a Miss Jones married a Mr Smith

Dal

Dal Report 19 Mar 2009 21:31

The scenario is more interesting, I think I'll take a trip along to the local GRO and ask them what they feel.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Mar 2009 21:35

I really think it would be worthwhile checking. It's just a bit too much of a coincidence, isn't it?

Ozi.

Dal

Dal Report 19 Mar 2009 21:35

Okay one last question to carry on the scenario -

Miss Jones did indeed marry Mr Smith (in 1926)
(let's give her the first name of Dora)

Should my antennae be twitching (metaphorically) that a Dora Smith then married Mr Black in 1959?

Julie

Julie Report 19 Mar 2009 21:39

When will you let us know who is correct .......as im 100% sure on the 1st bit that i have said as me & my OH are not married & our children are down the same way

Julie

Julie Report 19 Mar 2009 21:42

If Mrs Smith married Mr Black....have a look to see if the children was registered again

On the 1st birth the page number will be crossed through and a month & 59 should be there

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Mar 2009 23:25

One would wonder why wait until 1959 to marry Mr Black. One possibility is Mr Smith was still alive and not divorced in 1945, but died some time in the 1950s (or at least that's when Mrs Smith learned of the death).

Dal

Dal Report 20 Mar 2009 15:59

I spoke to a nice lady at the local registry office today. As the names are fairly unusual she has agreed that there is a good chance they are one and the same person.

So although it's still in the balance, she's suggested that I order one of the certificates via the local office and see what happens. As a useful side note, she also told me it's cheaper to get the certificates from the district of registration rather than going via the GRO.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 Mar 2009 16:25

Why is it cheaper to use the local Register Office? As long as you have the reference the GRO is the same price, £7.00

Dal

Dal Report 26 Mar 2009 11:12

The certificate arrived about 10 minutes ago.

I'm full of emotions for an Aunt that survived for less than a year, but at the same time excited at the idea that there may be family via her brother.

In brief and using her real names because it does not offend privacy:

A girl named Gwendoline Patricia was born on in Lincoln by both her father William Craske and her mother Dora Whiter (formerly Levi).

Julie

Julie Report 26 Mar 2009 11:24

Dal

there are 4 children coming up altogether registered the same way as Gwendoline.

Julie

Marriages Jun 1926 (>99%)
Levi Dora Whiter Lincoln 7a 1273
Wilson Ethel M Green Lincoln 7a 1273