Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

workhouses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 19 Mar 2009 22:45

can anyone please help with details of a workhouse/poor house. I have an address of where it is thought to have stood although I believe a block of flats has taken it's place. I would like to find out the name of the place to hopefully enable me to view the inmates lists. The address I have is 4 - 21 Colsterworth Road, Tottenham, (Edmonton).
Thank you for any help.
Linda

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Mar 2009 23:14

found this by googling - always google - lots of info available

There are not very many records surviving for Edmonton, but there is
theCreed Register covering the time when the birth took place. This should
confirm when your Nan was admitted and discharged and should also show
information on her child. There are also some birth records also covering
this time but I am not sure what they contain as they are described as
"birth records" rather than the usual description of "registers". All the
records are held at the London Metropolitan Archives.
Good luck
Mary Hallett - West Sussex
Visit my Website at www.fourbears.worldonline.co.uk

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Mar 2009 23:15

http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/lon/strand_workhouse.htm

London Metropolitan Archives
40 Northampton Road,
London
EC1R 0HB
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/archives/lma/

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Mar 2009 23:16

Edmonton
The parish of Edmonton built a workhouse (1731/2) on a site on the south side of Church Street, immediately west of All Saints Church. The building was closed and demolished after the opening of the Edmonton Union Workhouse (Silver Street) in 1842.

Enfield
The parish of Enfield established a workhouse in 1719 in rented premises to the east of Chase Side. The premises were purchased in 1740. The workhouse was completely rebuilt in 1827. The building was retained by the Edmonton Board of Guardians.

New Poor Law (Post-1834)

The Edmonton Poor Law Union was set up in 1837, comprising the parishes of Hampstead, Hornsey, Tottenham (including Wood Green), Edmonton (including Southgate), Enfield, Cheshunt and Waltham Abbey. (Hampstead left the Edmonton Union in 1848). The workhouses at Cheshunt, Waltham Abbey, Tottenham and Hornsey were closed almost immediately. The aged and infirm were concentrated at the Hampstead Workhouse. Able-bodied paupers (men and women) were housed at the Edmonton Workhouse. The Enfield Workhouse was given over entirely to children. A new Edmonton Union Workhouse was erected on a site in Silver Street (completed 1842). The old Edmonton Workhouse in Church Street then closed. A purpose-built orphanage (The Chase Farm School) was built in 1886 thus enabling the children to be moved out of the former Enfield Workhouse.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Mar 2009 23:17

Edmonton photos, maps, books, memories - Francis Frith
One of my jobs was at Klinger Manufacturing in Upper Edmonton - the old Workhouse. Edmonton was my birthplace. How many of us still remember our Co-op ...

www.francisfrith.com/edmonton,london/ - 47k - Similar pages

http://www.francisfrith.com/edmonton,london/

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Mar 2009 23:17

Edmonton - Local government | British History Online
Edmonton was the geographical centre of Edmonton union, created in 1837, and the board of guardians met there. Edmonton workhouse was used for all the ...

www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=269... - 60k - Similar pages

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=26939
Edmonton
6 Aug 2007 ... Edmonton Parish Workhouse was situated off Church Street, where All Saints National School was later built. It had been completely rebuilt ...

www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/midlx... - 22k - Similar pages

http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/midlx/edmonton_workhouse.htm

Linda

Linda Report 19 Mar 2009 23:41

tHANK YOU FOR ALL YOU REPLIES BUT i'M STILL NOT SURE where to get the info. I need. I have looked at some of the websites suggested but since I don't know the area or the name of the workhouse it makes things very difficult to know if it's the same workhouse as Colsterworth Road one. Another thing is the dates I'm looking for don't agree, i.e. a birth in 1918 and the mother died around the same time. Don't know if the mother was un/married, hyphenated name so it has been used in 3 versions. Shall I go on ????????????

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Mar 2009 03:09

you should try to get the birth certificate for the baby and the death certificate for the mother

they will tell you exactly where the birth/death occurred, thus you should get the name of the workhouse

then you can google for information.

sylvia