Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Google street - handy for looking at ancestors hou

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heather

Heather Report 20 Mar 2009 15:02

As you probably know, google street is up and running for some UK cities. I have just been looking at the street where I was born in Bermondsey - sadly all new flats but the system must be good for some people who want to check out ancestors houses.

Heather

Heather Report 20 Mar 2009 21:31

Yes, you can see actual houses in each road in the cities that are covered. Bit sad really as Ive just been looking at my deceased dads house - seeing what the new owners have done to it. Also looked at the first house I lived in after getting married.

Just go to this link, enter the address and then click on street view or drag the little yellow man icon to the pointer on the map.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Mar 2009 23:25

Thanks for the link Heather. Have just found house where OH grew up. Pity most of my ancestors lived in villages. Will scout round a bit more.

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 20 Mar 2009 23:29

The pictures are very high quality, but don't rely on the addresses. So far the ones that I have looked at have been anything between 2 to 40 numbers inaccurate. So fine for looking for a house when you know its exact physical position and what it should look like, but no good for saying "This is number 20 so according to the census my grandma grew up here".

Tina

Sarah

Sarah Report 21 Mar 2009 10:59

Pfft, they haven't mapped anywhere in the Westcountry past Bristol. Cartdiff is done well but Swansea has only been done along the main streets so far.

Heather

Heather Report 21 Mar 2009 11:26

No it does say approximate at the top of the screen, I found if you moved up and down the addy changed. But best to zoom in. And for ancestry records, just take a screen shot of the street if you arent sure of the numbering. It will still give you a flavour of the neighbourhood where they lived and worked.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Mar 2009 15:06

Wow. Just found the street where my mum was born in Scotland!! Grandfather was in the Royal Marines so only there a short while. Oh, why didn't this technolgoy come out whilst she was still alive???? Such is life!