Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking up places on the census'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne in Burgess Hill™

Joanne in Burgess Hill™ Report 22 Mar 2009 14:10

I am interested in looking up the history of a certain manor house/farm that my cousins live in. It has to be listed somewhere as it is mentioned in the Domesday book. I have tried inputting just the name of the place, but get no results at all. I must be doing the search wrong........any tips on how to track it down please.

Joanne xx

Sue C

Sue C Report 22 Mar 2009 16:12

Where is it? What is it called now?

You never know, with a bit more information, someone might come up with something for you.

Joanne in Burgess Hill™

Joanne in Burgess Hill™ Report 22 Mar 2009 16:49

Hi Sue
Thank you for replying. The place is called Hempstead Farm now, but used to be called Hempstead Manor House. I'm not sure when the name changed. It is in the lane of the same name. It is situated in Uckfield, Sussex, but sometimes comes under Felbridge, Sussex.

It has an amazing court house within it where judge Jeffries used to sentence people.

Joanne x

Derek

Derek Report 22 Mar 2009 20:38

Hi Joanne.......i do a lot of work on here for people searching their Derbyshire Ancestors.which is irrelevant really...but I noticed your enquiry....
I googled Hempstead Farm..and came up with the Sussex horse Sanctuary........which is a charity'.
On your behalf I telephoned Pauline Grant..the present custodian....and it was very illuminating..A lovely lady who actually talks for England!!
She is sending me some stuff about Hempstead manor and its history.
Basically the Judge jeffreys angle is a bit of a myth....particularly as he operated from much further west..Hampshire and Dorset..........But it is a mediaeval manor house and she lives there........telling me how difficult it has been to maintain a Listed Building..with all the interference from the local Council!!
I'll let you know what she sends me.

Derek

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 22 Mar 2009 20:58

How kind of you Derek, & how nice that Pauline was so receptive.

Ozi.

Joanne in Burgess Hill™

Joanne in Burgess Hill™ Report 22 Mar 2009 22:44

To Derek
Thank you so so much for taking all that trouble to phone Pauline. It sounds like a fascinating place with so much history attached. I really appreciate all your help.

Joanne xx

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Mar 2009 22:56

Have you looked at the sussexweald site? There may be some info on there.

Jill

Heather

Heather Report 22 Mar 2009 23:51

How very kind of you Derek.

Derek

Derek Report 28 Mar 2009 16:40

Hi joanne..have received some historical info on Hempstead house............

Derek