Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NEW and i really need some pointers!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Mar 2009 15:50

hi, have just joined and i really dont know how to start !! not usually this dim but for instance on surname summary the first time i looked there was a name by one of my tree names, after i had joined went to send a message and this person had gone !!! know the name but don't want to put it on as she may want privacy what can i or cant i do sorry for appearing dopey but me and machines just do not get along!!! can anyone give me some pointers thanks jackie

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Mar 2009 16:06

presumably you are wanting to build you family tree - so if you require some help in doing some research, put on here what you know, e.g. names of your grandparents or great grandparents with relevant dates and where they were born and we go from there - if you donlt understand anything, just ask, always someone ready to help you

Ann

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 22 Mar 2009 18:31

How annoying!

You might find some better results when your hot matches start appearing. Admittedly at times hot matches are fairly useless but sometimes they can lead to good contacts.

Or try the search trees tab for individual names and dates - I think it gives an automatic 2 year variation on year of birth. That might be quicker.

Good luck

Jill

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Mar 2009 19:32

Hi and welcome. You may find this thread helpful

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1114523

Enjoy your research.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Mar 2009 13:58

I pm'd Jacqueline to tell her about the replies. She has replied apologetically and thought (as do so many others) that she would get an email when anyone replied. When will GR sort this out???
I have explained how to find her thread again so hopefully we will hear from her later.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Mar 2009 19:25

Hi, yes I meant that she thought she would get an email when anyone replied to her message on here. We do still get email replies to a pm. Sorry if I misled you.