Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Marriages in Egpyt

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 24 Mar 2009 00:14

Hi,
I've just started tracing my family tree and would like to know if anyone has any ideas on where might be a good place to start looking for a marriage certificate for my grandparents ( both now deceased ).

I know they were both in the services, met and were married in Egypt during World War 2, my grandmother was English and my Grandfather was a New Zealander. After they were married they both came straight out to New Zealand.

Does anyone know if their marriage would be registered in British records, New Zealand records or Egyptian records ?!

Thanks to anyone who can help !
Amy

SueNSW

SueNSW Report 24 Mar 2009 02:46

Or - if you'd like to put their names on here I'd be happy (or I'm sure someone else with membership - if they get here before me) to look them up on FMP to see if they are listed in the Overseas Indexes there for you

Cheers
Sue

Amy

Amy Report 24 Mar 2009 18:38

Thanks for all you help, I really appreciate it.
Sue - thank you for your kind offer to look them up for me, that would be brilliant if you could. Their names were Bertha Millicent Naylor and Walter John Hider. From what I gather they were married in about March 1944.

Thanks again,
Amy

SueNSW

SueNSW Report 24 Mar 2009 20:12

No Worries Amy - and they are there: -

GRO INDEX ARMY MARRIAGES (1881 to 1955) 1941 - 1945

Station: Egypt
Year: 1944
Page: 517

Walter J Hider - Bertha M Naylor

Under Bertha's entry they have the Station as Haldish (presumably more specific than just Egypt) - but I don't think you need to put that on the application.

I hope Bertha had a happy life on the other side of the world.

Good Luck with your continued research

Sue
Hunter Valley NSW Australia

Amy

Amy Report 25 Mar 2009 23:26

Hi Sue,
Thank you so much for looking them up for me, it means a lot for me to be able to track down another piece of the family tree puzzle, especially when I don't really know much about either of them as my grandmother died when I was a young kid and we didn't have much to do with my grandfather before he died when I was a teenager.

Thanks again for all your help,
Amy