Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

shoemakers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 25 Mar 2009 08:16

Anyone any ideas.
I am trying to find a register or information on Shoemakers.
My gt gt gandfather started as a journeyman and graduated to Master
Shoemaker.He arrived in England form Russia Poland in 1894. In 1910
he had a shop in Bolton Lancashire.
I have tried directories for the shop,but no luck.How can I find out where he obtained his training or his masters in shoemaking? All ideas welcome

Thank you
Susan

Susan

Susan Report 25 Mar 2009 08:44

Thank you Jonesey
Will give that a go.

Alan

Alan Report 25 Mar 2009 09:04

You could try 'www.cordwainers.org'

Janet

Janet Report 25 Mar 2009 10:54

Hello Susan
When you say that your gt gt grandfather arrived from Russia/Poland could it be that he already had a trade from his father possibly? . Journeyman was mentioned on this board the other day, where a person was paid daily. Perhaps as an immigrant he might have done work anywhere to earn money then when he got established got his own shop and described himself as a master shoemaker having worked at least 16 yrs as a shoemaker. -JLe

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 25 Mar 2009 12:52

There is a shoe museum in Northamptonshire.

This should get you there - For more about Northampton's Central Museum and Art Gallery, including opening times, go to the official website: www.northampton.gov.uk/museums

Jill