Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help finding a Birth etc

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 25 Mar 2009 14:51

My gggrandfather had a sister apparently, listed on the 1891 census as Elsie Lampkin, born 1890 in Sydenham. I can't find any other records for her at all. I've looked for a birth, she's not in the 1901 census (although my gggfather and his widowed mother are), I can't find a record of her death, and she doesn't appear to have married. Where can I try next please?

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 25 Mar 2009 15:23

Just wondering if the name has been mistranscribed

Births Dec 1889 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lingham Elsie Gwendoline L Lewisham 1d 1139

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 25 Mar 2009 15:25

Have you seen the 1891 census as you say "apparently listed" on the 1891

Sue

Sue Report 25 Mar 2009 15:35

Sorry Paula, I meant apparently he had a sister, as we knew nothing about her previously. I have looked at the 1891 census, and although she's listed on a different page to the rest of the family, she is there.

Sue

Sue Report 25 Mar 2009 15:40

Paula
It's possible her name was registered incorrectly at birth, but doesn't explain why there appear to be no further records for her.
Also, I've looked at the 1911 census, and her mother, Alice, states that she's only had one child, who was still alive - I've assumed that to be Alice's son William who was still living with her at the time. It just doesn't make sense to me somewhere.

Sue

Sue Report 25 Mar 2009 16:46

Thank you very much for your help Paula.

There's an Elsie Lingham, born 1890 in Catford, in the 1901 census, but no relation to my family. However, I can't find her, or her family, in the 1891 census, and it's a bit of a very longshot, but perhaps she was staying at my family's house for some reason, and her name was recorded incorrectly, as was her relationship. And perhaps, there was no sister at all. Which would certainly explain all the missing records!

Thanks again, it's certainly got me thinking, even if not in the direction I was expecting to go.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Mar 2009 17:56

The relationships shown in 1891 are strange.

ARE they brother and sister..?

Gwyn

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Mar 2009 19:01

Willie is listed as boarder in 1891 and Elsie is listed as daughter.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Mar 2009 19:11

Do you have Willie's birth cert? I can't find his birth.

Rose

Sue

Sue Report 25 Mar 2009 19:19

Hi
Yes, the 1891 census does seem a little strange. Willie is the son of Alice, although shown as boarder - (the entry a couple of lines further up the page also shows a boy as a boarder) I don't know if he had a sister - my mother said he'd never mentioned one, and I'm now wondering if the enumerator misheard the relationship!
I don't have Willie's birth certificate - I couldn't find his entry either.

Thank you for looking.
Sue

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Mar 2009 19:28

Sue,

I'm wondering if Willie might be adopted. Alice and William married in 1876 and yet William was born c1887 and was an only child.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Mar 2009 20:14

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=853517

Rose

Sue

Sue Report 25 Mar 2009 22:20

Rose
Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier. Teenagers/competers! No, I hadn't seen that thread, and I'm just trying to work it out. Will get back to you shortly
Sue

Sue

Sue Report 26 Mar 2009 08:41

Rose
Thank you for your help yesterday. I've been thinking about this overnight. If William had been adopted, then how would I find out?
In the 1911 census, Alice shows as a widow, and said she had 1 child born and still living. Presumably she could say what she wanted if William had been adopted. However, it still doesn't explain why Elsie was shown as a daughter in the 1891 census.

Sue