Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

English Language

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 26 Mar 2009 08:41

It's not too much to ask for Capital letters, full stops and commas when posting threads.............it makes for much better understanding of your enquiry.

Julia

Julia Report 26 Mar 2009 09:39

I thoroughly endorse what you have said Alan. Also, please do not use commas instead of apostrophes,as it makes for awkward reading. Please also, look through what you have typed and correct any spelling mistakes. Some can be classed as typing errors, but many are just bad spelling mistakes
And, please,please no text speak. This makes for an idle use of the written English language, and difficult reading when trying to help with a query.
Julia in Derbyshire

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 26 Mar 2009 09:53

Whilst I agree entirely with what you both say, I think it only fair to make a couple of points in support of the people who do not follow these rules:

1. Some people are very slow at typing - either because they have never learned properly to do so, or because they suffer from arthritis of the hands. Anything which involves even one more keystroke is an additional burden.

2. Some people are dyslexic. It is more common than you might think.

Therefore I would add a caveat. Please use capital letters and correct grammar if your failure to do so is simply laziness. But do NOT feel intimidated from posting your queries and messages just because you are worried that you may not express yourself perfectly in writing.

Tina

Julia

Julia Report 26 Mar 2009 10:10

Tina - I agree with you entirely. I too am not the fastest of typers, but I do take time to read what I have typed, before posting. And, I do understand what you are saying about dyslexia. I have a daughter who suffers from this problem.
I should hate anyone to be put off from posting, but I have been put off from reading posts because of poor use of the English language, bad spelling, and the way to write as we were taught in school, with the use of punctuation marks etc.
I am not having a dig at anyone when I say this, but you can tell the age group of the poster, by the use of their typwritten speech
Julia in Derbyshire