Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oxfordshire Records Anyone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerald

Gerald Report 26 Mar 2009 11:31

Does any kind person have access to Parish Records for Oxfordshire? I have had tremendous help from Sharon with my "Smiths", couldn't believe it after all my searching and with that name. Having thought that they all originated in Nottinghamshire, it seems that it could be OXFORDSHIRE, as I have found this to be his place of birth on census records, although they are very faint to read. I am looking for the birth and family of a BENJAMIN SMITH born 1817/1818 possible birthplaces Henley Oxfordshire or surrounding area, from his marriage cert. his father is a William Smith , labourer. He married in 1840 in Nottinghamshire to a Mary Gelsthorpe, so it is prior to this I am interested in tracing.
This would round off my Smiths nicely so hoping for a lead. Thanks in anticipation. Bye Karen.

Gerald

Gerald Report 26 Mar 2009 15:20

Hi Margaret Rose,
Thanks for that info, I imagine RHG is Royal Horse Guards, do you think?
Is there any record of William and Hester's marriage and possible other children's births? Also maybe Williams or Hesters parents?
I suppose if William was a soldier they woudn't have stayed in one place continually. By looking at other info I am drawn to the Whitchurch area of Oxfordshire too and the names Richard Smith and Dinah also crop up, all around the late 1700's and into the 1800's Also Pangbourne which I find is just over the border in Berkshire.
Can't help but want to cover all possibilities with my dear old Smiths!!
Thanks Karen.