Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What do i do next ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carrie

Carrie Report 26 Mar 2009 14:38

Hi, im new to all this so would love some advice on what to do next after i've filled in my family tree (as much as i can for now)

Without getting shouted at ! any advice and info gratefully received. Thanks.

Carrie

Carrie Report 26 Mar 2009 15:06

JANE,

Thanks for that information. i shall do that.

Kind regards.

Christine

Christine Report 26 Mar 2009 15:09

Hi Carrie

Ask the family for any birth, marriage or death certificates they may have, going back as far as possible. These will give you details of dates, places. parents and occupations which you can use to take you further back. Then use that information to search for dates. places etc of those people (FreeBMD.org.uk is very useful, and as it says, free). You can then order the certificates for them, The next step is to search the census reports to trace further back (FreeCen is accessible through FreeBMD) - if you can't find them on there, you will need to buy credits, on here or other sites which have fuller information.

There are very many people on here - much more knowedgeable than me - who will help along the way. Good luck!

Carrie

Carrie Report 26 Mar 2009 15:12

Thanks so much for that Christine, its all a bit overwhelming at first and seems like so much work ! thanks again.

Hayley

Hayley Report 26 Mar 2009 15:57

Carrie,

Another bit of advice, once you have asked your relatives once for information, don't give up if they tell you they don't know eg in my case my maternal grandmother is still alive, she did not remember when her grandparents or her husband's died. She could, however, tell me which ones attended her own wedding. I know it's a small thing but it at least means you can narrow down the years you are looking at for a death & which years you would be expecting people to appear on census'

Happy researching!
Hayley

Carrie

Carrie Report 26 Mar 2009 16:34

HAYLEY,

Thank you for your advice and info there, thats interesting to know. much appreciated. TTFN