Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Brick Wall Time!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Old_bloke

Old_bloke Report 26 Mar 2009 17:43

I can't find anything beyond my g-g-grandfather's marriage. His name was John Haden born 1818 according to census or 1821 according to marriage cert. He married Sarah Nash (Staffordshire 1850) and his father was James Haden. I thought I'd found something and filled my tree out but now I have my doubts (severe doubts). I tried Parish Records online but those don't confirm or deny anything. Any help on what direction to take or what to do next would be appreciated, I need a bump start.
Trevor

Heather

Heather Report 26 Mar 2009 18:48

In 1841 the census was supposed to round down the adults ages to the nearest 0 or 5, so your chap was likely 23 and rounded down to 20.

What are you having severe doubts about? You have just come to the point when you need to search parish records.

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 26 Mar 2009 19:25

Go to the IGI Index, type in the batch number C010203 and just enter the surname Haden. You might find what you are looking for.

Old_bloke

Old_bloke Report 28 Mar 2009 18:14

Thanks Mick, I looked this up and have a few more clues. I have heard of the Jeavons before as this James Haden married the one Jeavons sister, had some children and she died, so to console himself he married the other sister and had some more children.
Heather, assuming the marriage cert is correct, my John Haden was born in 1821 although census returns (1871 on) have him as born 1818, census returns notoriously iffy when it comes to ages.
I will persevere with the Jeavons as the John/Sarah marriage cert says dad James was a ropemaker and so does the parish records for the Jeavons' husband. Apparently there was a James who was a ropemaker and pub landlord! Perhaps John, the son, was the name he used and he was christened something else, like James|