Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificate Info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pocahontas

Pocahontas Report 26 Mar 2009 19:37

I try not to buy certificates unless absolutely necessary but bought one dated 1849 recently to try and discover a mother's maiden name - but it wasn't included.
Was I just unlucky or is this usual ?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 26 Mar 2009 19:54

That is unusual. I wonder if she had the same maiden name?
Is it a common name?

I googled and was surprised to see a woman ( our time) had mistakenly put her married name instead of her maiden name down and was wondering if she could correct it.
Perhaps this is what happened in your case

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 27 Mar 2009 00:30

You only need one name to order a marriage cert .

Do you have the registration number?

I have found 2 marrying with the same surname. They were cousins

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 27 Mar 2009 01:14

Was this a birth cert? (no Fathers name mentioned? born out of wedlock?)...

Or a Marriage cert? (Same surnames?)

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Mar 2009 07:17

It's very unusual - I'm assuming we are talking about an English statutory birth certificate, and not a parish register entry from whatever UK country.

Pocahontas

Pocahontas Report 27 Mar 2009 07:21

It was birth certificate. (Welsh border county)
Neither the father was recorded or the mother's maiden, but as far as I know the parents were married - though they married pre 1837 and I haven't located their marriage yet.
They had a number of children between the 1830s and 40s , so I might try again and purchase another certificate.
The family had (unfotunately !) a common surname for the area so I suppose it is possible that the mother married someone with the same name.