Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where is another place??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 27 Mar 2009 07:37

Where else can you find pre 1837 marriages I have looked everwhere for it a Thomas Ransom and a Susannah Finn married around 1818-1821 not sure of the area had first child in 1821 and the last child in 1839 thank you

Margaret

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 27 Mar 2009 07:43

You say you've looked everywhere, but exactly which websites have you searched?

Ozi.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 27 Mar 2009 07:50

Presumably you have the last child's birth cert. So where was he/she born?

Ozi.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 27 Mar 2009 07:51

Have you found the couple on any census?

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 27 Mar 2009 10:24

Yes I have the youngest childs birth certificate but they were not married in Suffolk. on the 1841 census the 2 elder children were born in Bulmer Essex I have searched the IGI asked at the Essex record office and I beleive that Susannah was born in Dover Kent Thomas was born in Bury St. Edmunds Suffolk. I do not know where else to look thankyou

Margaret

Heather

Heather Report 27 Mar 2009 10:59

Well, thats a interesting combination, Dover and BSE. What job did he have?

What census have you found them on? What are their years of birth? What are the kids names/years of birth.

Is it possible Susannah is a second wife?

Have you checked for him as Thomas RansoN - as that is a common surname in Suffolk.

If the kids are born in Essex and parents were not of that parish, one possible lead could be through settlement certificates, which hopefully the Essex records office would have?

For ref 1851 - is this them? Looks like he should be Ranson, not Ransom as you have - he is a painter journeyman, wife a charwoman. Two eldest kids born Essex, 2 younger Suffolk.

Name: Thomas Rawson
[Thomas Ranson]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1794
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Susannah
Where born: Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England

Civil Parish: Great Coggeshall
County/Island: Essex

Registration district: Witham
Sub registration district: Kelvedon
ED, institution, or vessel: 2d

Household schedule number: 104
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Rawson 57
Susannah Rawson 54
Mary Ann Rawson 23
Ruth Rawson 16
Edward Rawson 13
Rebecca Rawson 9

Name: Thos Ranson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1794
Where born: Suffolk, England

Civil Parish: St Gregory
Hundred: Babergh
County/Island: Suffolk

Registration district: Sudbury
Sub registration district: Sudbury
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Thos Ranson 47
Susanna Ranson 45
Isaac Ranson 19
George Ranson 17
William Ranson 10
Mary Ann Ranson 8
Ruth Ranson 5
Edward Ranson 1

Theres a big gap between the kids there, George aged 17 and William 7 years later? I think you may be looking for a marriage with the wrong wife.? Of course it may just mean kids in between arent around that day, but worth thinking about.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 27 Mar 2009 11:51

Heather Yes that is the right people on both census their names range between Ransom and Ranson I have the baptism of both the older 2 boys Isaac and George both say that the parents are Thomas and Susannah and both born in Bulmer Essex and I also have the youngest Edwards birth certificate and once again Thomas and Susannah Ransom (nee Finn) . There does not seem much difference between Thomas and Susannah ages and somtimes she is down as Susanna . I do not seem to be able to fine them after 1851 But I know George got married and I have his marriage certificate. Yes I have looked for him as Ranson and Ransom and Ransome.

Margaret

Heather

Heather Report 27 Mar 2009 11:54

Snookered. Only parish records can help you. Take it nothing on IGI.

?

Deaths Mar 1857 (>99%)
Ranson Thomas Ipswich 4a 370

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 27 Mar 2009 12:50

Thank you Heather I assume this is the death of William Ransom
and another

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Jun 1855 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ransom Ruth Sudbury 4a 272

Deaths Jun 1845 (>99%)

RANSOM William Sudbury 12 344

So that is two of the chuildren

Margaret