Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Search Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 27 Mar 2009 15:40

On family search under a particular batch number I have found a group of Gregory's
place of baptism described as

Grunlodz, , Worcester, England

They seem to match my Gregory's from Evenlode Worcestershire found by census,

I have googled just to make sure and it does not exist.
How would I go about making a correction to extracted records?

Thelma

Thelma Report 27 Mar 2009 16:38

This is not a parish record,as far as I can tell,as there is no source.

Elizabeth Gregory - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 17 JUL 1842 Grunlodz, , Worcester, England

Kate

Kate Report 27 Mar 2009 16:45

I'm not exactly sure - I noticed there are extracted records from Evenload with the batch number C042638 too.

I have just spotted "Grunlodz" (batch number C010542)and I'm a bit puzzled, because it does seem to have a gap in the location between Grunlodz and Worcester, which I have only normally seen in submitted records.

Maybe if you use the "contact us" link on the site and ask them whether they are sure the spelling has been interpreted properly, they might be able to help.

Thought 2 - Jim's post just made me think, perhaps it is "extracted" in the sense that someone has copied out an entire parish register and submitted it to the LDS as "extracted" from the original source, and in doing so, the name of the place has been misinterpreted? Grunlodz is not listed on the Hugh Wallis batch numbers site and I think that site only lists geuninely extracted records.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 27 Mar 2009 17:18

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download | Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Gregory Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 09 JUN 1844 Grunlodz, , Worcester, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: William Gregory Family
Mother: Anne Gregory

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C010542 Film

Sheet:

This is the record in question. Apart from mistranscription of place name I thought that this was safe to consider extracted and always advise people to look "extracted" and a batch number, It makes me wonder how safe all our trees are?
Evenlode was often written Evenload and that I can accept, but Grunlodz
and Grulods? It is confusing enough that Evenlode marks the boundaries of 4 counties so no one quite knows consistently which county they were born in.
Thanks for your ideas, I am now going to get that sorted,

Eileen

Eileen Report 27 Mar 2009 17:59

i think you will find it is Bromsgrove. Americans have no idea about our geography(or we of theirs most of the time1) Eileen

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 Mar 2009 05:06

Comparing the following two hits:

Results for: Sarah Baylis, England, British Isles
Exact Spelling: Off
Batch Number: c010542

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 2
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. Sarah Baylis - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 23 FEB 1845 Grunlodz, , Worcester, England

Births Mar 1845
BAYLIS Sarah Stow on the Wold 11 440
[The district Stow on the Wold spans the boundaries of the counties of Gloucestershire and Worcestershire]

My guess is Grunlodz is a mistranscription of Evenlode, which falls under Stow on the Wold Rego D

The LDS catalog has:
Title Computer printout of Evenlode, Gloucs., Eng
Stmnt.Resp. extracted for the controlled extraction program and published by the Genealogical Dept. of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Notes Batch nos. 02542-1, 2, 3.
Extracted from microfilm copies of parish registers and bishop's transcripts on film nos. 0991293, 0246655.
Subjects England, Gloucester, Evenlode - Church records - Indexes