Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 27 Mar 2009 23:46

While searching for some relatives birth certificates reference numbers I have notice that on some search sites it states the mother's maiden name, which is really helpful. I am looking at tracing some relatives born in 1880's and 1890's, but the maiden name of the mum doesn't show up on these searches. Is there anyway I can find the maiden name or do I have to take a chance and order the birth certificates??
Thanks for the advice,
Amy

Pam

Pam Report 27 Mar 2009 23:54

Mother's maiden name only appears on birth registration from September quarter 1911.

Pam

Pam Report 27 Mar 2009 23:55

I think you will have to use census and marriage information to try to find births

Amy

Amy Report 28 Mar 2009 00:07

Thanks for the info, Pam.

I didn't think that there would be a way of finding the maiden name on these births, would've been really good if it came up. I'm clutching at straws that the relatives I've found are what I'm looking for anyway. I'll maybe just order one of the certificates and hope that the mother's maiden is the one I'm looking for.

Thanks again :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Mar 2009 04:13

I discovered that the Lancashire bmd site often has mother's maiden name much earlier than normally found, even as far back as the 1880s

www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

But there is no rhyme or reason for whether the name is there

but try googling your countybmd to see if they do ..... or go to www.ukbmd.org.uk

sylvia